Old Target Interiors

Moderator: Groceteria

Swampcrone

Post by Swampcrone »

Dave wrote:In Richmond, we had Greatlands as the first Target entry into the market. They recently built a new Target near me, so my choices are now regular and Greatlands I suppose. The new store has one entrance, but the layouts, though similar in some ways, differ enough so that it takes a little effort to find things in the regular store than in the Greatlands store.

For example, electronics are in the front to your left in Greatlands, in the back left corner in the regular store.
Hrm- From what I remember of Target first coming to Richmond I thought they were regular Targets and not under the Greatland name- granted this was 11 years ago so my memory is a bit rusty. Most of the Targets I have shopped in have had the same basic layout (walk in, clothing by entrance, electronics wall of entrance)- with the exception of the one that was recently remodeled in a Buffalo suburb- which sounds like the layout of the new Richmond store.
javelin
Veteran

Post by javelin »

Swampcrone wrote:Hrm- From what I remember of Target first coming to Richmond I thought they were regular Targets and not under the Greatland name- granted this was 11 years ago so my memory is a bit rusty. Most of the Targets I have shopped in have had the same basic layout (walk in, clothing by entrance, electronics wall of entrance)- with the exception of the one that was recently remodeled in a Buffalo suburb- which sounds like the layout of the new Richmond store.
On the west coast, there are very few Greatland stores. I've only been in one and I'm not sure what the difference is. Otherwise, there are three interior designs of Target stores here. New builds typically have electronics at the rear of the store. Stores that were once Gemcos usually have electronics on the wall of the entrance. And a few former Fedmart stores have their electronics sections towards the left of the store, but not adjacent to the wall (similar to wal-mart). I hadn't seen one like that for a while until a couple of weeks ago while in a store in San Diego. Years ago, there used to be electronic security gates at the entrance of electronics in all the converted Fedmarts. Customers didn't like it and their sales went down so they were removed.
RPAmesandKmartan26
Contributor

Re: Greatland

Post by RPAmesandKmartan26 »

rrr wrote: 20 Jan 2006 14:26 There was also a "Target Greatland" concept that started around 1994 or so. My brother did a fireworks display for the opening of one of the first, if not the first one, in Apple Valley, MN. The Greatland color scheme was red and green, I think the outer circle of the logo was green instead of the usual red. The fireworks display featured all red and green shells. They spent at least $2500 on it.

Greatlands had two entrances instead of one like most Targets, so I assumed when I first saw them that they would have food in one side. But no, they were just a bigger Target with the same merchandise. SuperTarget didn't come along until a few years later.

In Lou, there's an odd Target at Hubbard's Ln and Westport Rd. that has 2 entrances and the interior arrangement of a Greatland, but it never had the Greatland name or color scheme. None of the 3 new Targets here are Greatlands nor do they have the dual entrances.
Target opened their first Greatland in Apple Valley MN on 9/26/1990 and it was expanded into a SuperTarget in the Early 2000's. They recently remodeled in around 2018.