Old Target Interiors

Moderator: Groceteria

danielh_512
Veteran

Post by danielh_512 »

An original Greatland layout had Pharmacy to the side of one entrance, and Electronics to the side of the other entrance. The Pharmacy side of the store would have a middle aisle including food items, gifts, and small appliances, as Target calls them. Across from them along the Pharmacy end wall would be HBA and Household Cleaners.

The back wall would go in the following order: Bed & Bath, Toys, Seasonal, Home Improvement. Bed & Bath was on the same side as the Pharmacy.

The Electronics wall featured Sporting Goods and Automotive along its wall, its middle aisle featuring Stationery, Furniture.

Clothing is the entire middle of the store in a Target Greatland. This was used on all Target Greatlands in layout, reversing sides depending on the store, from the mid-90's when I first went to one, and remained until 2005.

New Target Greatland layouts have on the Electronics wall Toys. The back wall is composed of Sporting Goods, Home Improvement, Small Appliances, Bed & Bath, Furniture. Seasonal has moved to the Pharmacy wall's corner, and Food is the only other thing on that side. The decor change also occurred in these Target Greatlands.

I personally prefer the Greatland layout to the regular layout, as it's more flexible and easier to get where you want to be.
ieguy441
Contributor

Re: Old Target Interiors

Post by ieguy441 »

Jeff wrote:Last year, I went to a Target in Moreno Valley, Ca that still had the original interior from when the store opened in the 80's:

The brown motif, dark interior with a lot of low hanging ceilings.

Anyone remember these old interiors. I also wonder if this store is still like it.
This store was shut down last year actually when a new Target Greatland opened up near Moreno Valley Mall at Towngate. I always enjoyed shopping there (a lot of my family is "originally" from the Moreno Valley area) as it was sort of a trip into a time machine. It was the same typical design as every other Target built in the early to mid 1980's. The Target in Oceanside, CA retained this layout until the late 1990's when the entire building underwent an overhaul. Temecula, CA also was home to this layout until about 3 or 4 years ago when they finally remodeled it.

The old Moreno Valley store is now a "for lease", thus offically killing the shopping center.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Well I didn't know it closed.

I'm kind of saddened now. I liked that retro looking store.

And did anything ever take over the market spot. Last I remember, it was a Max Foods. What was it before / After Max?
ieguy441
Contributor

Post by ieguy441 »

I believe its now an ethnic market called "Cardenas". It originally housed an Albertsons and then a Discount furniture store. While it was the furniture store, the only thing done to change the interior was painting a lot of the dark wood work (this store was done in dark woods, avocado greens, oranges and yellows). I believe about a month ago I saw that they were finally putting something in the old Target, perhaps another discount furniture mart.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

I wonder if Target gutted the store when they left. I may have to check it out.
ieguy441
Contributor

Post by ieguy441 »

I was actually at the old Target in Moreno Valley, CA yesterday and it is now Rio Rancho Indoor Mall. I drove very slowly past the doors and could still see the intact Food Aveune as well a the 45 degree angled wall in the back corner that was the entrance to the fitting rooms. The store has been subdivided up into small little stores, and actually resembles a small shopping mall.

I also ventured past the Cardenas Market/former Albertsons and it appears that the store has been remodeled using a lot of newer looking Albertsons fixtures. I am assuming they bought all of it from one of the Albertsons nearby that was sold to Stater Bros.
shopnbag

Post by shopnbag »

The neatest Target I ever shopped at was in Atlanta. It is 2 stories with a parking garage attached to it. You can move your shopping cart between the 1st and 2nd floors via a "cart" escalator. It runs along side the "person" escalator and it dumps your cart off just as you reach the floor.
Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

Portland, Oregon has two two-story Target stores with the cart escalator which are former Montgomery Ward stores.
todd
Contributor

Post by todd »

That Atlanta / Buckhead Target is super-cool.... but with neighbors like Nordstrom, Saks and Neiman Marcus, what do we expect. Imagine Wal-Mart swimming successfully in THOSE waters.
javelin
Veteran

Post by javelin »

Anyone recall what the 2-story Target in Van Nuys, CA used to be?
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

javelin wrote:Anyone recall what the 2-story Target in Van Nuys, CA used to be?
It's a new build. I don't know what was in the lot before that, but the current structure has always been a Target.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

The only 2-level Target that I can think of that is not a rebuild around here, is the former Robinsons store on Colorado in Pasadena.

On a side note, the 2-level WalMarts in Crenshaw and Panorama City were former Broadway stores.
RandallFlagg
Contributor

Post by RandallFlagg »

I remember Target had a specific name for the design with the ceiling tiles lowered around the raceway. The design was also used at the Chino store on Central just north of the 60 freeway. Its been years since I've been down there and I don't know if this store is still open. I think that roofline was being used around 86. I seem to remember it was to give the stores a more intimate feel. We also have a Greatlands in Fontana on Sierra and the 10 freeway. When it first opened it looked nothing like a target on the inside. All the departments were marked with large neon signs in different colors. They also stocked a lot more skus than a normal Target of the day. The outside of the building is signed Target in red and Greatlands in green.
WhenenRome

Post by WhenenRome »

RandallFlagg wrote:I remember Target had a specific name for the design with the ceiling tiles lowered around the raceway. The design was also used at the Chino store on Central just north of the 60 freeway. Its been years since I've been down there and I don't know if this store is still open.
At least as of a couple of months ago, this Target was still open.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

I was there a few weeks ago and it is open.

Its on Philadelphia St.