SAFEWAY - URGENT CHANCE TO SAVE A PIECE OF HISTORY - NO TIME

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Moderator: Groceteria

dcgrocery
Contributor

SAFEWAY - URGENT CHANCE TO SAVE A PIECE OF HISTORY - NO TIME

Post by dcgrocery »

THIS IS A ONE TIME CHANCE TO OWN / SAVE A PIECE OF SAFEWAY GROCERY HISTORY, Attention all preservationists / helpers / interested people in the DC area --- I just found out yesterday and took photos today of a completely preserved Safeway that was hidden in Maryland, built in 1968. ALL OF THE INTERIOR SIGNAGE IS INTACT AND CAN BE HAD FOR LITTLE TO NO MONEY BUT THERE IS NO TIME !!! THESE SIGNS MUST BE REMOVED BY THIS SATURDAY NOVEMBER 18 OR THEY WILL END UP IN A DUMPSTER DESTROYED FOREVER. I STRONGLY URGE ANYONE WITH A DESIRE AND STORAGE SPACE TO SAVE THESE EXTREMELY RARE 'ART PIECES' . Here are the photos I took TODAY, A FEW HOURS AGO : http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/ ... 20Safeway/

I'd love to take them myself, but I have no room and nobody to help dismantle. The store just closed last week, there was an auction and I met the guy in charge of demolishing the store. He offered to take each 'mural' down at $75 each but would probably let us do it for free if we have manpower. The biggest obstacle is : THESE THINGS ARE DARN HUGE. ATLEAST A FEW FEET TALL. Anyone have any ideas what can be done with them? I guess they aren't museum worthy, but they are so bizarre looking and a rarity for Safeway. It is amazing they were hidden this whole time.
So, are there ANY SUGGESTIONS? THIS STORE IS IN HYATTSVILLE MD near the UNIV OF MD COLLEGE PARK. I have the person in charges name and number. He told me to drop by tomorrow (Thurs) if I was going to take them. He said everything needs to be removed by Saturday. My heart tells me these need to be preserved, but with such short notice and the sheer size of the crazy murals, what can be done?
This is no joke, all the signage in the photos are available if desired. If ANYONE is interested PLEASE email me and I will give you my phone number and all the information you need. If you know a museum / non-profit that wants these cool things I think the man in charge could haul them or crate them to wherever. He is from Atlanta and works for the auction company, not Safeway. Safeway has given permission to dispose of all remaining store fixtures. Most of the stuff was auctioned (shelves, checkout lanes, etc) but the HISTORIC SIGNS are still there awaiting a certain death if nobody can rescue them.
Everyone, call your friends who might be interested. I can meet anyone at the location to help facilitate removal. I just hate for them to be destroyed.
Either way, I'm glad to have captured them on film. I have lots more photos that I will eventually post. For now the goal is to salvage the historic signage if possible. DAVID - WHAT DO YOU THINK SHOULD BE DONE?????

sorry for all the caps and rambling. i'm concerned and confused because I got such short notice of this treasure. thanks for reading. gary
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

I wish I had a clue about what could be done. I'd drive up myself if I weren't flying to the west coast for Thanksgiving with the in-laws this weekend. It's a depressing thought that they may be just thrown away. If anyone can arrange temporary storage, I might be able to give a home to a couple of them when I return.

But if any of you are in the DC area and can grab them, I encourage you to do so. They'd be great things to save.
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

Hey Gary, have you posted this to the MSN group on your site? Maybe one of the members there would be in the area to take these treasures home.

That decor looks exactly like the ones that used to be at the Safeway on Westborough Blvd. in South SF until it closed in 1997; however, I don't think it had those stylized murals.
Chris Sampang
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

Dang, I wish I wasn't all the way out here on the Left Coast. I'd kill to have that lettering!
tesg
Veteran

Post by tesg »

I wouldn't mind having that cooler display case with the sweet circle "S" logo dividers.
Swifty
Contributor

Post by Swifty »

If I were anywhere near your ballpark, I'd be there in a heartbeat. I love collecting old grocery store artifacts.

Granted - the only artifacts I ever got were a couple of old interior A&P signs out of a store that closed in Columbus, GA. And that was simply a matter of finding a tall ladder and a pickup truck. (They were very lightweight plastic signs)

Perhaps you can reant a UHaul for the day. That's usually pretty inexpensive (well under $50).

Good luck!
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

So did anyone save any of this stuff? I'm going to cry if that lettering was tossed... (Seriously, what store would put "Country Sweet" on the wall today???)