Does anybody remember Alpha Beta Markets Commissary Store?

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

wayne winterland jr.
Contributor

Does anybody remember Alpha Beta Markets Commissary Store?

Post by wayne winterland jr. »

Does anybody remember Alpha Beta Markets new store format that they experimented with called their COMMISSARY STORE????

This was an attempt at getting acceptance by customers of a limited assortment grocery store in one of Alpha Beta Markets that they had converted to this type format. It was a very limited assortment the one time that I went there to check it out. I think that this store was in the Manhattan Beach area on Pacific Coast Highway. For example if you wanted dish washing soap your choice was either the Alpha Beta Brand or Ivory Snow and if you wanted potato chips your choice was Laura Scutter Potato Chips which were about to go out of code in about 2 weeks. I counted the cases on display and there were 350 cases and by they went out of code they still had 150 cases on the sales floor that they were trying to sell. Not a very good buy when now customers were now offered out of code merchandise to buy. I don't know if Alpha Beta Markets had more than one of these Commissary Stores but they sure weren't a very good attempt at a limited assortment grocery store format.
Let me know if anyone else remember's this type of store for Alpha Beta Markets????