Alpha Beta Markets named FAD grocery stores

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

wayne winterland jr.
Contributor

Alpha Beta Markets named FAD grocery stores

Post by wayne winterland jr. »

Does anybody remember Alpha Beta Markets creating a discount format store called (FAD which stood for Food At Discount)?
I remember them having one in Costa Mesa, Calif. and also Santa Barbara, Calif. I remember I was working at a low volume Alpha Beta Market and one time my store received the Santa Barbara FAD stores load of groceries and was that ever a mess because at that time my father who was also an Alpha Beta Store Manager told me that the FAD store where the load was supposed to have gone was doing about $350,000 in sales per week and the low tiny low volume Alpha Beta Store where I was working was only doing about $30,000 a week and our backroom was jam packed with all kind of merchandise most of which must have sold well in the Santa Barbara FAD store but didn't sell well at all at the store where I was working. Not only did we receive their load but we received our regular load as well and there was hardly any walking space in that backroom at all and it probably took us about 3 months to get rid of most of the groceries that were sent to us by mistake. Boy what a mess that was and the back room was so full that you couldn't get a pallet out the door so we had to stack and wheel out all of our groceries to stock the shelves and that was time consuming as apposed to pulling the load out of the backroom on pallets.