Furr's & Bishop's Cafeterias

Moderator: Groceteria

wayne winterland jr.
Contributor

Furr's & Bishop's Cafeterias

Post by wayne winterland jr. »

if i'm not mistaken along with the cafeterias in the K-Mart stores didn't K-Mart also own the Furr's and Bishops Cafereria chain restaurants?
I also remember when some of the old Kresge Stores also had a counter style eating area at the back of their stores which was just a long counter with lots of stools to sit on. The last one that I ever saw or was in was several years ago in Enid, Oklahoma and at that time it was the largest sit down stool type Kresge eating counter that I had ever seen in a Kresge Store.
jamcool
Veteran

Post by jamcool »

Yes, during the 80s KMart owned Furr's/Bishop's Cafeterias..they are now under different ownership. Furr's Cafs haved outlived their parent, Furr's supermarkets (which closed down in 2002 thanks to the Fleming bankruptcy)
ieguy441
Contributor

Post by ieguy441 »

Are there anymore Furr's Cafs around? The two I would also go to (in Oceanside and Hemet) have since closed.
jamcool
Veteran

Post by jamcool »

Furr's has basically retreated to its original sales region (TX/NM/AZ)
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

furrs used to have a location in Claremont that was a bust from the beginning. never got off the ground.
terryinokc
Contributor

Post by terryinokc »

Furr's Cafeterias are still in Oklahoma and Texas. Back in the 60's, 70's and 80's their food was very good. Their deserts especially. Now they are all you can eat for one price........the problem is the food is so bad, you can hardly eat one plate!
wrallen99
Contributor

Furrs in El Paso

Post by wrallen99 »

This subject reminds me of a Furr's my parents used to take me to in El Paso. The last time I went was in 1983 before we moved to Austin. You would pick the dishes you wanted off the line and they'd charge you for each dish. The area had gone further downhill when I last saw the area fifteen and five years ago. Most of the businesses I remember are gone. Amazingly, I just checked The Furr's website and this location was still open at 8528 Dyer Street. It is in a strip shopping center called Sunrise Shopping Center that consists of two strips parallel and facing each other. Here is the road sign for the Furr's:

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&c ... &encType=1

And here is the front. It's hard to spot it but it is the red sign in the shopping center:

There used to be a Western Auto across the parking lot.

By the way, this triangular building used to be a Baskin Robins 31 Flavors about 25 years ago. It's across the street from the shopping center:

WalgreensDude

Furr's Cafeteria

Post by WalgreensDude »

I remember Furr's Cafeteria from when I was growing up. Our Furr's had a fireplace and an elderly lady playing the piano sometimes, I used to beg my parents to sit near the piano. Then again, I can't remember stuff well anymore.

WalgreensDude

"Thank you for shopping at Walgreens, have a good day, see you again soon!"
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

The FURR'S in Redlands CA became an Italian restaurant.

It then became, and is still The Auto Club.