Lucky, San Leandro

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

bring-back-pylons
Contributor

Lucky, San Leandro

Post by bring-back-pylons »

I love the photo of "Lucky, the World's Most Beautiful Store" Can anyone tell me more about that flagship store and explain the "photo"? I see the luncheonette in the foreground, what is to the either side? Does anyone know where I can find additional interior photos of the late 40's Lucky stores? Also, what e-bay search was used to come up with the "Purity-Safeway" photo on the front page of this Groceteria site. That is also a gem. Thanks all and Mery Christmas.
steps
Veteran

Post by steps »

hmmm...I'm curious too!
Pavilions, the new, the unusal, the BEST of everything!
justin karimzad
Veteran

Post by justin karimzad »

The book Industrial Design, Raymond Loewy shows a night time exterior photo of the Loewy-designed Lucky in San Leandro. There's also a great close-up photo of the interior, looking from the rear right towards the left front of the store. Of course, the book is avalable on the big online retailers, but some libraries have it as well.
romleys
Veteran

San Leandro Lucky

Post by romleys »

The "flagship" Lucky Store was located at 1550 East 14th St. in San Leandro, CA. The store opened on May 17, 1947. There was 21,000 square feet of floor space. The store had automatic doors. There were 346 ft. of refrigerated cases. The 3-square pylon tower was 63 ft. high. There was a memorial near the entrance stating that the store was dedicated to Merton Frankel (1915-1944). "He was the first employee of Lucky Stores to lose his life in the service of his country in WWII". The memorial even remained in its position when Albertsons operated in the building. In the opening day ad of the store the Wall Street Journal was credited with saying that the store "was ten years ahead of its time".
The store was sitting abandoned about 8 months ago. I hope this one-time beautiful store will always be remembered.
Charles H:)
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

Does anyone have an update on this classic Lucky? Would hate to see it remain abandoned, or worse, at risk for demolition.
Chris Sampang
Alloy
Contributor

Re: Lucky, San Leandro

Post by Alloy »

This Lucky is gone, and the lot is fenced off.