SupeRx (Kroger) Found in Las Vegas, Nevada...

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas.

Moderator: Groceteria

Roadsidepictures
Contributor

SupeRx (Kroger) Found in Las Vegas, Nevada...

Post by Roadsidepictures »

A few days ago, I snapped these shots of the former SupeRx Drug Store in North Las Vegas. As far as I know, there has never been a Kroger grocery store in Nevada and this was the only SupeRx in Las Vegas. A long time employee told me that the name was changed to Sun Rx sometime during the 1980's. She couldn't remember what the grocery store next door was called but it wasn't Kroger. A lucky moved in maybe during the 80's and now it's an Albertson's with the Lucky interior.

http://static.flickr.com/6/69548262_4718a79bb0_o.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/6/69548563_eac2d5789e_o.jpg
krogerclerk
Veteran

Post by krogerclerk »

The blue oval is virtuall identical to the Kroger oval, which I do believe was used by SupeRx. I believe SupeRX had a sizable store count in Arizona at one timeand this was probably a peripheral location. SupeRx had stores in state that didn't have Kroger as well as states which Kroger had vacated, Florida, for example. I believe SupeRx in AZ predated the Kroger acquisition of Dillon in 1982, the parent of Fry's.
jamcool
Veteran

Post by jamcool »

There were a large number of SuperX stores in AZ, a number of them adjoining Fry's stores (this was before the Kroger-Dillon merger). In the mid-80s the SuperX stores were sold to local investors-of which one was Charles Keating. Then SuperX/Arizona bought Revco's AZ stores, and the whole operation was renamed "RxPlus". In the 90s RxPlus went into financial problems, with Osco buying most of their stores.
romleys
Veteran

Post by romleys »

There was a Super X drugstore on located next to a Safeway on Juana Ave. in San Leandro, CA. The Super X became a Bill's Drugs, then a Longs Drugs (which is still open as of today).
On January 11, 1967 Lucky bought out a chain of supermarkets called Bonanza Discount Supermarkets. There were four that I know of in Sacramento, CA. There were three located @ 1630 High St. in Oakland, 1451 Shattuck Ave. in Berkeley, and 12010 San Pablo Ave. in Richmond. Strangly all of these were Lucky Store adresses prior to being Bonanza. The berkeley location even had and still has the two-square tower. One thing notable that Lucky advertised when they took these stores over was the Bonanza Pharmacy that would now be called Lucky Pharmacy.
Since this shopping center is called Bonanza Square and the Super X might have been a Lucky Store there might be a possible answer to this whole story of the store(s).
Charles Hathaway

B.T.W. all of the Lucky Stores switched to their discount pricing format on January 11, 1967. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Charles H:)
Roadsidepictures
Contributor

Here's a shot of the whole sign for the shopping center. The top sign looks like an older Lucky sign but I'm unsuer as to how long ago it was used...anybody know what time period this sign was used? The grocery store next to the drug store was a Lucky and then became Albertson's which is still open. What did the Bonanza Discount Supermarkets sign look like? The name of the street this is located on is Bonanza.

http://members.aol.com/yaketyyak72158/a14.jpg
mgrmk
Contributor

Post by mgrmk »

One can only assume the "Bonanza Center" got its name for being on Bonanza Rd. Additionally, this Albertsons is one of 2 Las Vegas locations that has switched back to the "Lucky" name.
Roadsidepictures
Contributor

I found a giant newspaper ad for the grand opening of this shopping center...I think it was 1967. I'll dig it out and take a picture of it.
lvkewlkid
Veteran

Post by lvkewlkid »

that would be nice to see since I pass by it every day...

Also, the ABS at Spring Mtn and Decatur is becoming a Lucky...maybe they are going to convert the majority to Lucky...
rnaikens
Contributor

Re: SupeRx (Kroger) Found in Las Vegas, Nevada...

Post by rnaikens »

It wasn't ever owned by Kroger as far as I know. When I called on the drug store in the 90's, it was an independent and not part of a chain.
roblemons

Re: SupeRx (Kroger) Found in Las Vegas, Nevada...

Post by roblemons »

SunRx on Bonanza and Eastern here in Las Vegas, NV used to be called SupeRx and next door was Lucky. There was also a Sizzler in the paking lot. I remember going there as a kid way too much!