Small Safeway, Washington DC area?

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Moderator: Groceteria

TheStranger
Veteran

Small Safeway, Washington DC area?

Post by TheStranger »

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/14 ... 4241jRapFo

Note the low-budget lighted sign...store looks unusually nondescript for a Safeway.
Chris Sampang
Dave
Veteran

Post by Dave »

Since there's a Powerball sign on the side of the store, it's in DC proper if it's in the DC area at all.

I don't think it's necessarily nondescript for a Safeway. There used to be several of the same vintage in Richmond - but those were closed as Safeway years and years ago. It's unusual to see one still operating of this vintage, which I would put as from the 1940's after Sanitary changed over to Safeway - there was a bit of a new store boom around 1942 or so when new stores such as this one were built in Sanitary territory. They predated the shoeboxes with pylons by a few years.
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

It's probably one of the stores they've closed in the last 10-15 years. They used to have a relatively small store near Eastern Market in Capitol Hill, another in Brookland near Catholic University, and they replaced a store just East of the Anacostia on Minnesota Avenue, in an area where the retail is from the 20s-40s. The people in the pic look like a mix of Black & White, so I'm guessing Capitol Hill or Brookland.