Fourth Plain Fred Meyer Exterior

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.

Moderator: Groceteria

StoreLiker2005

Fourth Plain Fred Meyer Exterior

Post by StoreLiker2005 »

Hi Gang,

As I was using local.live.com and input the address to "2201 Grand Blvd, Vancouver, WA" (meaning the Fourth Plain Fred Meyer Marketplace), I found that much of the original building (exterior wise) hadn't been remodeled since 1981. Why? I found the classic 1949-1988 "Fred Meyer" font still there (white letters on red background). The 1967 architecture is still there as well.

Regards,

Ben (StoreLiker2005)
Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

The Fred Meyer at I-205 and Mill Plain also still uses the old style sign. Both Mill Plain and Fourth Plain are somewhat unusual in that the Fred Meyer letters are white, but light up red at night.

One minor change occured at Fourth Plain during the late 90s when it was converted to a Fred Meyer marketplace. At the top of the exterior panels (behind them) there used to be fluorescent lights which were either turned off or removed during the remodel.

Rumors have swirled about the possible closure of Mill Plain due to a Super Wal-Mart which opened across the freeway.

Fred Meyer did not change much of the exterior in Hazel Dell when it was converted to a marketplace around the same time as Fourth Plain.
Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

The Fourth Plain Fred Meyer is slated for closure:

http://www.columbian.com/news/localNews ... s76208.cfm

Ironic that the development for the replacement store is called Grand Central. Although named for the fact it is near Grand Boulevard, Fred Meyer did purchase a chain called Grand central in the 1980s.

I am also wondering if Fred Meyer will gradually phase out the "marketplace" stores as many of them are in older locations.
StoreLiker2005

Post by StoreLiker2005 »

Super S wrote:I am also wondering if Fred Meyer will gradually phase out the "marketplace" stores as many of them are in older locations.
Other Fred Meyer "Marketplace" stores in the Portland/Vancouver area:

Burlingame - 7555 SW Barbur Blvd in Portland (opened 1950-51)
Raleigh Hills - 7700 SW Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy in Portland (opened 1959-60)
Glisan - 6615 NE Glisan St in Portland (opened 1961-62)
Peninsula - 6850 N Lombard St in Portland (opened November 13, 1962)
Hazel Dell, WA - 7700 NE Highway 99 in Vancouver (opened 1962-63)

Benjamin Edge
Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

StoreLiker2005 wrote:
Super S wrote:I am also wondering if Fred Meyer will gradually phase out the "marketplace" stores as many of them are in older locations.
Other Fred Meyer "Marketplace" stores in the Portland/Vancouver area:

Burlingame - 7555 SW Barbur Blvd in Portland (opened 1950-51)
Raleigh Hills - 7700 SW Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy in Portland (opened 1959-60)
Glisan - 6615 NE Glisan St in Portland (opened 1961-62)
Peninsula - 6850 N Lombard St in Portland (opened November 13, 1962)
Hazel Dell, WA - 7700 NE Highway 99 in Vancouver (opened 1962-63)

Benjamin Edge
As I pointed out, these are all rather old buildings. The Fred Meyer Marketplace in Portland in the Rockwood area closed several years ago, and the store was very similar in design to the Hazel Dell store.
tkaye
Veteran

Post by tkaye »

On the other hand, the Marketplace name in the Seattle area is used on traditional supermarkets that Fred Meyer acquired from other retailers. They're not older stores like the Marketplaces in Portland. Unless they're planning on dropping the Marketplace name from these stores, which would introduce confusion between full-line stores versus supermarkets only, I'd imagine the name will still be around in some form.