KR Finalizes Agreement to sell 11 Cala-Bell Stores to DeLano

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

storewanderer
Veteran

KR Finalizes Agreement to sell 11 Cala-Bell Stores to DeLano

Post by storewanderer »

Great news for DeLano. What a catch these stores are. Store names won't change. KR will still own the Cala/Bell names though. I wonder why they want to retain ownership of the names.

The question mark in this is that 13 locations presently operate, but DeLano is only buying 11. Past reports showed that DeLano was buying all locations with the exception of Post Street (since closed) and San Carlos.

I am assuming San Carlos is still going to an un-officially-identified party (known as Foodville who runs a store down the street). Now I wonder what other store is not being sold to DeLano.

What a stupid move to sell these stores. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Especially as 4 or so ABS stores closed in the C-B trade area.
justin karimzad
Veteran

Post by justin karimzad »

Yup, the San Carlos store looks to be taken over by Foodville, as they have signs in their current store soliciting applications for employment in their new location. An employee also told me that they were moving to that location sometime in the fall.
storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

What exactly is that Foodville like? It looked like a 1930's store in size. The employees in Bell seemed to be looking forward to the takeover. Odd that Foodville is soliciting applications.
justin karimzad
Veteran

Post by justin karimzad »

The Foodville was originally a market from the early 1940s, and was under a different name that I can't remember. There's an old newspaper article in a frame in the back rear of the store, where the butcher department meets the produce department that gives that information. After doing research with old county telephone directories, it appears that the market became Foodville between 1956 and 1959, during which time it seems to have been renovated.