Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

NEW: Ventura/Oxnard, 1924-1981

Post by Groceteria »

For your Saturday afternoon viewing pleasure, it's back to SoCal:

https://www.groceteria.com/place/califo ... tura-area/

Be forewarned that some of the Google Maps links for Main Street in Ventura insist on pointing to Main Street in Santa Paula even though the correct, valid addresses are in the data. I've seen this happen in other areas where there are multiple Main Streets (notably Hartford, Connecticut) and I don't know a good way to fix it. Usually the correct address will show in a search box at the top of the Google Maps page and if you click the "search" button you will land at the right spot.
Steve Landry
Veteran

Re: NEW: Ventura/Oxnard, 1924-1981

Post by Steve Landry »

Groceteria wrote: 11 Nov 2023 18:23 For your Saturday afternoon viewing pleasure, it's back to SoCal:

https://www.groceteria.com/place/califo ... tura-area/

Be forewarned that some of the Google Maps links for Main Street in Ventura insist on pointing to Main Street in Santa Paula even though the correct, valid addresses are in the data. I've seen this happen in other areas where there are multiple Main Streets (notably Hartford, Connecticut) and I don't know a good way to fix it. Usually the correct address will show in a search box at the top of the Google Maps page and if you click the "search" button you will land at the right spot.
So COOL!!!!

Thanks for uncovering some Food Fair and Fox stores 😍😍
The Food Fair Empire
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Thanks. I’m not sure what’s up with that one store on A Street in Oxnard that flipped over to Fox Markets and then turned back into a Santa Cruz Market. I’ll dive into the newspapers tomorrow and see if I can figure it out.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Apparently Fox Markets took over the Santa Cruz Market at 752 A Street in Oxnard in 1959 and then basically took it back late in 1960. Can't find an article explaining why. Santa Cruz also took back another store (1924 E Main) they had offloaded on about the same timetable.
Steve Landry
Veteran

Post by Steve Landry »

Groceteria wrote: 13 Nov 2023 10:53 Apparently Fox Markets took over the Santa Cruz Market at 752 A Street in Oxnard in 1959 and then basically took it back late in 1960. Can't find an article explaining why. Santa Cruz also took back another store (1924 E Main) they had offloaded on about the same timetable.

Interesting for sure!

I wish I could find that fox mascot they used in all their advertising 😞
The Food Fair Empire