Does anybody know when Kroger stopped using those cube signs?

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Moderator: Groceteria

retail_person_247
Contributor

Does anybody know when Kroger stopped using those cube signs?

Post by retail_person_247 »

I found a Kroger in Dunbar, WV that has one of those iconic cube signs in the parking lot. The thing is, that store wasn't even built until 2007.

Was Kroger still prominently using those signs by then? I understand that a lot of older Kroger stores still use those cube signs simply because they haven't been replaced, but was Kroger still opening new stores with those signs by this point or is this some sort of oddity?

Here's the store & the Kroger cube sign for reference:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Kroge ... N0b3Jl4AEA
Retail_247
Andrew T.
Veteran

Re: Does anybody know when Kroger stopped using those cube signs?

Post by Andrew T. »

FYI, that particular store was built in the 1990s, not 2007, and the sign was a carryover from a 1973 predecessor store on the same site. It was actually brought up in this thread some 13(!) years ago.

I assume the cube signs were last used in the early 1990s.
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Andrew T. wrote: 30 Dec 2022 01:42I assume the cube signs were last used in the early 1990s.
Agreed. I tend to associate them almost exclusively with superstores and greenhouses, though I'm sure there were exceptions to that. As in Dunbar, a lot of them have been left standing, and sometimes even relocated onsite, when these stores were replaced/rebuilt.
BatteryMill
Contributor

Post by BatteryMill »

Andrew T. wrote: 30 Dec 2022 01:42 FYI, that particular store was built in the 1990s, not 2007, and the sign was a carryover from a 1973 predecessor store on the same site. It was actually brought up in this thread some 13(!) years ago.

I assume the cube signs were last used in the early 1990s.
I would say late 80s as the Greenhouse era waned, I don't know if those were present for the late 1980s vertical model. Kroger began to diversify store designs on a divisional basis in the following decade, so I doubt there was room for a significant architectural hallmark as with what came before.