NEW: Sioux City, 1925-2021

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.

Moderator: Groceteria

Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

NEW: Sioux City, 1925-2021

Post by Groceteria »

For your Sunday evening viewing pleasure:

https://www.groceteria.com/place/us-iowa/sioux-city/
Andrew T.
Veteran

Re: NEW: Sioux City, 1925-2021

Post by Andrew T. »

Ah, Sioux City...

* In Sioux City, National followed its expansion playbook to the letter: Buy out a local chain, rebrand all the stores, compete ineffectually for a decade or two, and withdraw from the market with a whimper. At least one ex-Council Oak store (1415 Villa) had a pylon. The '60s store at 3908 Floyd Blvd is kind of ugly, but well-preserved.

* While investigating the ex-Council Oak and National location at 206 38th St, I discovered the existence of a bizarre medieval-style towered building on the corner...that, alas, was torn down between 2012 and 2016. I'd really like to know what the story behind this was!

* The ranch-style Safeway at 1730 Pierce Street is still selling groceries as a Save-a-Lot! Of course it's been renovated to oblivion, but the roofline is still there.

* Sioux City will always be known to me as the founding city of Gateway 2000...yes, the company that sold mail-order PCs in cow-spotted boxes. After they bolted from the midwest in the late '90s and started opening "Country" stores (which weren't actually stores, but high-overhead showrooms), I knew they were doomed.
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: NEW: Sioux City, 1925-2021

Post by Groceteria »

Andrew T. wrote: 14 Dec 2021 00:39In Sioux City, National followed its expansion playbook to the letter: Buy out a local chain, rebrand all the stores, compete ineffectually for a decade or two, and withdraw from the market with a whimper.
Pretty much. In some of these areas, they never even built a new store (or maybe just one or two at most).