Company Publications

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

xsafeway
Contributor

Company Publications

Post by xsafeway »

When I worked for Safeway years ago they had a corporate magazine that came out monthly called Safeway News. It was about 10 pages total, had a slick, glossy finish, and while there was some color it was basically black and white photography. The articles consisted of puff pieces on different aspects of the company, from buyers to manufacturing, to unique store histories, and biographies of select employees. Recent personnel promotions, what we now call "shout outs", and consumer tips rounded out the content.

In addition to Safeway News the Washington DC division also had it's own newsletter with the same type of content but a much less professional look. It was originally called the Cracker Barrel but was later renamed News and Views. If I recall correctly it came out quarterly. When I was in the Richmond Division they had something similar but I don't remember what it was called.

These publications provide a wonderful (and biased) insight into Safeway from the 1950s into the 1990s. I would be interested in finding out if anyone has access to any old Safeway News, News and Views, or Cracker Barrel.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: Company Publications

Post by Groceteria »

They actually date back to the 1920s. I have several and posted a few to the site quite a while back:

https://www.groceteria.com/store/nation ... s/safeway/

I'll be adding more as I have time.
TW-Upstate NY
Veteran

Re: Company Publications

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

A+P did one especially for their centennial year in 1959 called "The A+P Circle" although there were probably more over the years. This one was quarterly and I've got two of them and would love to get the others. It was written from an historical perspective considering it was playing off the centennial theme.