Images of old Grocery Stores/Tacoma, WA from TPL Archive

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.

Moderator: Groceteria

pugetsounder

Images of old Grocery Stores/Tacoma, WA from TPL Archive

Post by pugetsounder »

Here's a treasure chest of old grocery store images from the Richard's Collection, on line from the Tacoma Public Library, Tacoma, WA.

http://search.tpl.lib.wa.us/images/default.asp

Suggested search words are; Safeway Store, Food King, Big Bear, Tradewell, Hogan, Grocery Store, Supermarket. You will find many vintage interior & exterior images and more.

If address does not wok by change, please put Tacoma Public Library in your selected search engine. Once on their Home Page, go to the Northwest Room and then to the search engine for the Photography Archives. Enjoy!
tkaye
Veteran

Post by tkaye »

Also, try Thriftway, Tacoma Mall, Villa Plaza, Albertsons, IGA...

Another good site is the University of Washington Libraries' Digital Collections at http://content.lib.washington.edu/cgi-bin/advsearch.exe -- there are lots of photos from Bellevue in the '60s and '70s as well as Southcenter Mall.
storeliker
Contributor

Thanks

Post by storeliker »

Real great resource. Are there any image banks like this for California?
me
runchadrun
Veteran

Re: Thanks

Post by runchadrun »

storeliker wrote:Real great resource. Are there any image banks like this for California?
There's an archive at the California State Library and the Los Angeles Public Library but their collection of grocery (and retail in general) pictures is limited. I've poked around at other local library's web sites and they have little or nothing. The LAPL owns several large photo collections (the Security Pacific and Hearld Examiner archives come to mine) but there's a manpower issue of scanning them all so only a small portion of the collection is online.

There is also the California Digital Library, which I have access to as a University of California employee but unfortunately because of copyright reasons I can't post links because they wouldn't work anyway without a password. The UC Davis library (part of the CDL) has several early 20th-century pictures of stores.
rightstorerightprice

Post by rightstorerightprice »

Is there anything like this for the midwest?
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

rightstorerightprice wrote:Is there anything like this for the midwest?
A good place to start is the web sites for the state libraries, public libraries in large cities, and the libraries for the large public and research universities. Look for a link for the "digital library" or "digital archive" or the like. Not every library has one so if you don't find it one library move on to the next.