Food Fair in Southern California

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

somuchtoseeanddo
Contributor

Food Fair in Southern California

Post by somuchtoseeanddo »

Does anyone recall this chain? Think they became defunct around 1973. The signage in them was classic. I used to draw pictures of the store in San Gabriel on Las Tunas Drive. Some of the signage decor included: "You can't buy better, so why pay more?" "Only the price is lowered, never the quality." "Thank you for shopping FOOD FAIR, we hope you like the change." Super A Foods took over several of the locations, such as the San Gabriel, Downey, and El Monte stores.
Steve Landry
Veteran

Re: Food Fair in Southern California

Post by Steve Landry »

Yep!

Fox Markets was the chain that Food Fair purchased in the mid 60's?

They had stores in S. California and Nevada.

They became Fox's Food Fair, then Food Fair and then a few became Pantry Pride (I believe there was at least ONE J.M Fields department store).
The Food Fair Empire
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

Here's the Wiki for the company. I don't know how accurate it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_Fair
somuchtoseeanddo
Contributor

Post by somuchtoseeanddo »

Great! Thank you for the information. Since the logo was so different, I thought the Wiki page was another store by the same name. Sounds like they became unmanageable and overly spread. Wish I had a picture of one which was in So. Calif.
Steve Landry
Veteran

Post by Steve Landry »

somuchtoseeanddo wrote: 05 Jul 2020 15:14 Great! Thank you for the information. Since the logo was so different, I thought the Wiki page was another store by the same name. Sounds like they became unmanageable and overly spread. Wish I had a picture of one which was in So. Calif.
Yes, irresponsible expansion and nepotism, hubris, incompetence and financial corruption.

There was so much ill will created by this company that no one cared about saving save the corporate raider (Ron Perelman, Revlon) who devoured it for its many hidden treasures.

This was a company that the BIG 3 (A&P, Safeway, Kroger) feared for many years.
The Food Fair Empire