Comprehensive list of Kmart locations

Moderator: Groceteria

reschultzed

Comprehensive list of Kmart locations

Post by reschultzed »

Hi there, I've been working on this spreadsheet of Kmart locations for over a year now. Combining existing store lists with information found in old newspapers, retail directories both on- and offline, and local, state and federal government databases, I've been able to pull together this list of 3,098 current and former Kmart stores. This list is intended to be totally comprehensive, containing every Kmart store that has ever existed since the brand was created in 1962, and I think it's getting very close to that goal. However, there are probably still a few stores missing from the list entirely, and hundreds of the stores that are already there are missing opening and closing dates, square footage, and more. Please feel free to use this data however you want, and don't hesitate to reach out to me with a comment if you can fill in any gaps or spot any inaccuracies. Thanks!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... RLD7g/edit
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: Comprehensive list of Kmart locations

Post by Groceteria »

This is pretty amazing and I encourage the knowledgeable people here to dive in and add comments.
Andrew T.
Veteran

Post by Andrew T. »

I can offer up one bit of info: Kmart #9580 (Princeton, West Virginia) opened on November 2, 1978. It was housed in a building originally constructed as a Family Bargain Center.
kmt.jpg
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull
pseudo3d
Veteran

Post by pseudo3d »

I had been working on a similar list, but in Texas. I had been working on an updated version (a good part of it is out of date), but it hasn't been published yet.

http://www.carbon-izer.com/retail/kmart/kmartlist.html

I will tell you that according to the Houston Chronicle, 8315 Long Point Road, 12151 Katy Freeway, and 8150 Southwest Freeway all were listed in an ad in April 1995 as closing stores. I might be able to dig out the ad for you if you'd like.
Steve Landry
Veteran

Post by Steve Landry »

reschultzed wrote: 31 Jan 2020 19:17 Hi there, I've been working on this spreadsheet of Kmart locations for over a year now. Combining existing store lists with information found in old newspapers, retail directories both on- and offline, and local, state and federal government databases, I've been able to pull together this list of 3,098 current and former Kmart stores. This list is intended to be totally comprehensive, containing every Kmart store that has ever existed since the brand was created in 1962, and I think it's getting very close to that goal. However, there are probably still a few stores missing from the list entirely, and hundreds of the stores that are already there are missing opening and closing dates, square footage, and more. Please feel free to use this data however you want, and don't hesitate to reach out to me with a comment if you can fill in any gaps or spot any inaccuracies. Thanks!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... RLD7g/edit
WOW!!!

Impressive!

Kmart 7481 1085 Bellevue Atwater CA 95301 November 13, 1986 October 2015 87,269 J.M. Fields POB

The above is puzzling to me. I had no idea that Food Fair Inc. had a store in California. I know they had food stores in California and Nevada via their acquisition of Fox Markets (Fox Markets - Fox's Food Fair - Pantry Pride).

If you are sure about this, it's awesomely exciting! Any other info (pics, etc.)?
The Food Fair Empire
reschultzed

Post by reschultzed »

Steve Landry: It looks like that particular piece of information came directly from another spreadsheet which was compiled by people on Flickr a few years ago. I can't find a link to that spreadsheet right now, but it didn't contain any more information. I can't find anything more in any of my usual sources, and everything I can see says that J.M. Fields stores were only ever located in the Eastern United States. I would guess that whoever added that to that original spreadsheet made a mistake, but that's all I've got right now.
TW-Upstate NY
Veteran

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

WOW! Quite impressive indeed. Nearest store to me now is White Plains, NY. And if I may, a few modifications: Lines 1954+1955 the Amsterdam, NY stores: the first one was a former Grants and opened in either late '75 or sometime in '76 and was replaced by the store on line 1955-a Super K right down the road which closed pretty much as listed. Sat vacant for a number of years until it was torn down and a Target and Kohl's were built in its place. Line 2406 which is listed as Scranton, Pa and while that may be correct from a postal delivery point as being located in Scranton, the location is actually Dickson City, Pa. from a geographic standpoint. Opening date doesn't sound correct either because I always recall opening day (and I was there the day it opened) as being a cold, rainy day in November of that year. I'm going to say the day before Thanksgiving but don't quote me on that. All in all, this is an unbelievable list which you obviously put a lot of time and effort into and all I can say is: THANK YOU!!!!!!!
reschultzed

Post by reschultzed »

Thank you for your suggestions, TW-Upstate NY! However, I checked the opening date of the Dickson City store and October 18 appears to be correct. Here's a newspaper clipping from that day: https://www.newspapers.com/clip/4349624 ... estribune/
TW-Upstate NY
Veteran

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

reschultzed wrote: 02 Feb 2020 17:22 Thank you for your suggestions, TW-Upstate NY! However, I checked the opening date of the Dickson City store and October 18 appears to be correct. Here's a newspaper clipping from that day: https://www.newspapers.com/clip/4349624 ... estribune/
I stand corrected and I thank you very much! But I was there opening day-loved the place from day one. As I recall, it was the first store where I saw digital readouts on the registers. That place was definitely ahead of its time.
TW-Upstate NY
Veteran

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

Just thought of another one that I've had questions about. Line 2169 Middleburg Heights, Oh-I visited this one a little over ten years ago and at the time the attached store was vacant. I'm presuming it was a grocery store at one time. I see the opening date for the K-Mart was sometime in 1969. Was it a K-Mart foods perhaps or another chain?
reschultzed

Post by reschultzed »

Looks like there was definitely a Kmart Foods at that location early on, which closed around 1976. In 1986, Leewards Craft Bazaar opened in that space, so by then it was separate.

Andrew T.
Veteran

Post by Andrew T. »

Are there any plans to add Canadian locations?
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull
reschultzed

Post by reschultzed »

I do have a list of Kmart stores in Canada, Australia, and Czechoslovakia, but it's not nearly the same quality. You can see it here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... d=10721284
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

Cleveland area stores:

#3562, 26100 Brush Road was a former Clarkins. It was abandoned for a number of years before KMart moved-in, probably in the 1980s.

#7647, 16300 Lake Shore Blvd was a former Cooks (originally Uncle Bill's--ditto the store at 6801 Broadway); it was a relatively small store (probably 60K sf or less). It probably opened as a KMart in 1987 along with the Broadway store.
nysw3636
Veteran

Post by nysw3636 »

This is awesome!! Thank you for this. I'll have to go into my notes, but I believe Chalmette, LA was a Barker's Department Store before being a K-Mart. Some of the other New Orleans locations could be as well. Thanks again.