Kroger Superstore

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

Moderator: Groceteria

krogerclerk
Veteran

Post by krogerclerk »

Sorry to say I know of none. An intact exterior remained in Nashville until early this year when it became a Dollar General Market. It had received an interior remodel using the mauve/grid color scheme. It's replacement opened in October 2004, and the store stayed open about 4 months until the deal with Dollar General was finalized, located on Murfreesboro Road, the area has been in decline for most of the last two decades. It's become virtually impossible to find an intact greenhouse interior.
terryinokc
Contributor

Post by terryinokc »

I visited relatives in Alabama this spring. In Gunnersville, AL, there was a Food World (Brunos, Ahold, Bi-Lo) that was in a former Kroger Greenhouse store. The interior was a total blast from the past--with pink, orange, and green wall graphics and interior--all left over from the old Kroger. The store was dark, dingy and in desperate need of an update. I commented to my friend that this store would not be open the next time we visited. It is still listed as operating on the Food World website, but I called the phone number and it's changed to some independent store. Don't know if they have updated the interior or not.
krogerclerk
Veteran

Post by krogerclerk »

My neice attended Harding University in Searcy, AR which has a Kroger with intact superstore exterior still in operation, but the interior has the mauve/grid pattern. The nearest unaltered exterior superstore still operating as Kroger is in Athens, AL- but it also has an altered interior.
Buford Highway at Clairmont in Atlanta has a slightly altered exterior, but still superstore recognizable. Severall others began as superstores, but are heavily remodeled. Covington, GA has been expanded into a greenhouse store and again expanded to a post-greenhouse design with the "power alley" layout of perishibles in the addition. The Northlake Kroger on LaVista is a superstore, expanded into a greenhouse-the rest of the shopping center is still in superstore bricking. Georgetown S/C on Chamblee-Dunwoody at I-285 was the first superstore in Atlanta, but recieved an expansion in the late 80's to a later greenhouse variation.
The Buckhead "Disco" Kroger was gutted and rebuilt into one of the more recent post-greenhouse semi-Fresh Fare prototypes. The Kroger at South DeKalb in Rainbow Village has an early-70's exterior, but once had superstore interior- I've not been in the location in years, but it's probably been revamped as I think the neighboring pharmacy,originally a SupeRx, has been incorporated into the store.

Greenhouse stores are more abundant, as the greenhouse facade is evidently expensive to replace, and many former Kroger locations retain the exterior, and many Kroger remodels, such as Toco Hills, retain the greenhouse on an otherwise post-greenhouse remodel/expansion. Very few have intact interiors, the last I visited was Lanett, AL and Hall Crossroads in Northeast Knoxville. The Halls X-roads was slated for a remodel when I was there, it actually had 2 greenhouse, one for Kroger and one for the ex-SupeRx that was incorporated into the store during a mid-80's remodel, when the store was relatively new. Lanett is a low-volume store and may still have the original interior,it's been about 5 years since my last visit. Opelika, AL is a "dual" greenhouse facade, also once a separate SupeRx.

I've seen the Guntersville Food World, but never entered it. I beleive Wal-Mart was in the shopping center prior to the SuperCenter. Scottsboro, Talladega and Sylacauga are the other 3 greenhouse stores which became Food Worlds-their interior is not original and Scottsboro has recently relocated into the former Red Food/BiLo store next door after Ahold acquired Bruno's. The 4 Kroger stores in the Florence/Muscle Shoals area became Jitney Jungle during the same timeframe and are probably empty. One near the mall in Florence was greenhouse design.
The Tuscaloosa superstore became Delchamps as did the greenhouse in suburban Northport, and are empty since Jitney/Delchamps demise. I don't think Winn-Dixie nor Bruno's took any of the locations in those two cities.