Major chains as Piggly Wiggly franchisees

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Major chains as Piggly Wiggly franchisees

Post by Groceteria »

Going back to the 1930s, I know that Safeway owned the Piggly Wiggly stores in much of the West Coast (as well as Hawaii and much of Canada) and the Kroger owned them in much of the Midwest. I've theorized that the big chains used these as a way to learn how to do self-service without necessarily doing it under their own names.

Anyone know of any other regions where a large chain was the Piggly Wiggly franchisee?
Andrew T.
Veteran

Re: Major chains as Piggly Wiggly franchisees

Post by Andrew T. »

I can think of a few places in the midwest where Piggly Wiggly franchises were run by a medium-size company that quickly became part of a large company (Krambo > Kroger, Eisner > Jewel). But the midwest is already trodden ground...and outside of these and the Safeway/Kroger dichotomy, my mind draws a blank.

Were there ever any Piggly Wiggly stores in the northeast? None have surfaced in my research, so that's one place with wasted potential.
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: Major chains as Piggly Wiggly franchisees

Post by Groceteria »

Andrew T. wrote: 18 Jun 2019 20:20Were there ever any Piggly Wiggly stores in the northeast? None have surfaced in my research, so that's one place with wasted potential.
There was a reasonably large franchise in Rhode Island that evolved into the regional Almacs chain. I don't know of many others, unless you want to count the Sanitary/Safeway-owned stores in DC as "northeast."