Safeway 639 Port Angeles Lincoln Street

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.

Moderator: Groceteria

explorersea
Contributor

Safeway 639 Port Angeles Lincoln Street

Post by explorersea »

The original Lincoln Street Safeway in Port Angeles WA opened as a Marina style in 1967, this store included the popular "Snack Bar" that were found in many Marina style stores of the 60's, this store in particular was a high profit store from opening and always a apple in the eye of Safeway Seattle execs, expansion discussions began in the 1970's, and by 1980 Safeway purchased an alley way and several older homes enabling them to double square footage. The expansion was a temporary gap and not the store Safeway had originally envisioned, they would have to wait 15 years for permission to build a new store from the ground up, the new store opened in 1996. The 38,000 foot Marina/1980 expansion store would be demolished just after the new store opened just a few feet away. A fuel station was added later to make the property complete (under that 1980 expansion photographed is a Marina in hiding).
Attachments
PA Safeway.jpg
Safeway.jpg
Last edited by explorersea on 06 Sep 2020 10:00, edited 5 times in total.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: Safeway 639 Port Angeles Lincoln Street

Post by Groceteria »

Great pictures! Thanks!
wnetmacman
Veteran

Post by wnetmacman »

explorersea wrote: 07 Jan 2019 22:18 The original Lincoln Street Safeway in Port Angeles WA opened as a Marina style in the 1960's, this store included the popular "Snack Bar" that were found in many Marina style stores of the 60's, this store in particular was a high profit store from opening and always a apple in the eye of Safeway Seattle execs, expansion discussions began in the 1970's, and by 1980 Safeway purchased an alley way and several older homes enabling them to double square footage. The expansion was a temporary gap and not the store Safeway had originally envisioned, they would have to wait 15 years for permission to build a new store from the ground up, the new store opened in 1996. The 38,000 foot Marina/1980 expansion store would be demolished just after the new store opened just a few feet away. A fuel station was added later to make the property complete (under that 1980 expansion photographed is a Marina in hiding).
That has to be the first time I've ever seen the Super Store sign on the right side of the building outside of Texas, and specifically, the Dallas division. Also, here it was usually reserved for stores 45,000 square feet and larger, with pharmacy, deli, bakery, and full camera departments.
Scott Greer
explorersea
Contributor

Post by explorersea »

I was searching old newspapers and discovered an article in the Port Angeles Evening news discussing the opening of the new 25,000 square foot Port Angeles Safeway on January 24, 1967, one of the pictures showed business leaders being served breakfast in the new Snack Bar which was a completely new business unit in a Safeway store but alas it would not last, in less than 10 years Snack Bars were removed for a number of reasons, staffing them was challenging, they really weren't that profitable, the space could be better utilized for other items (Wine and Beer, Card Shops, Photo Sound and Gifts). I sat in the Snack Bar pictured many times with my Mom as we took a break from shopping in the big city (PA we called it) and enjoyed pie fresh from the instore Bakery which was also new to this store and area, the Baker was well known in the area (Les Sandison)I couldn't even fathom that within a few years I would be working in this store when it expanded to 38,000 feet
Attachments
Safeway Opening Jan 1967.JPG
Safeway Opening Jan 1967 II.JPG