Mystery store: 48 Charles St W, Ingersoll, ON

All things Canadian.

Moderator: Groceteria

Andrew T.

Mystery store: 48 Charles St W, Ingersoll, ON

Post by Andrew T. » 25 Aug 2018 21:16

ingersoll.jpg
Here's something I stumbled upon today. What might this have been? (And don't say "Dollar Tree.")

The building's on the small side...less than 10,000 square feet, but plausible for a 1940s or early 1950s supermarket. The side buttresses are also suggestive of that era, and the building is set back the same distance from the road as a couple of Dominions in London I've confirmed from that timeframe.
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull

Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: Mystery store: 48 Charles St W, Ingersoll, ON

Post by Groceteria » 25 Aug 2018 22:09

My guess would be Dominion or A&P.

Andrew T.

Re: Mystery store: 48 Charles St W, Ingersoll, ON

Post by Andrew T. » 03 May 2019 11:21

For the record, someone told me that this store operated for years as an IGA Foodliner supplied by the Oshawa Group. I was also told that the replacement store it stands next to has done business under the IGA, Knechtel, and Foodland names, and all of these were Oshawa banners as well.

But there's still a possibility that it could have been built as a Dominion or A&P.
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull