The oldest Kroger store in operation?

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

Andrew T.
Veteran

The oldest Kroger store in operation?

Post by Andrew T. »

We've had threads on Groceteria about the oldest operational A&P store and the oldest operational Safeway. What might be the oldest operational Kroger?

240 W Main St. in McConnelsville, Ohio is an old store in an old building that's a real relic by any measure, but it wasn't always a Kroger and it wasn't even always a supermarket. An article from the Zanesville Times Recorder of 15 Dec. 1967 gives the following information:
The newspaper's writers wrote:New Kroger Store
A new Kroger Supermarket will be located and open in February in McConnelsville. The store will be located in the former Bill Janes Chevrolet new car showroom on West Main street, McConnelsville.
3558 Main St. in Weirton, West Virginia is a more likely contender. It opened on 5 June 1956 and is still open in relatively unaltered condition.

Are there any pre-1956 Krogers out there?
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull
Balalaika762

Re: The oldest Kroger store in operation?

Post by Balalaika762 »

I think this one's a serious contender ; I've already written something like 18 pages on Kroger stores after reading ten times that, and I haven't got any mention of something older still being in operated. And the archives pic at the end of the linked thread is already in my list of extra info!
Andrew T.
Veteran

Post by Andrew T. »

There's another contender: 788 W. Pike St. in Clarksburg, WV. David recently researched the city, and found the address listed as a Kroger in 1955...which means it evidently preceded Weirton, though not by much. (The backlit bubble lettering seems more early-1960s than mid-1950s to me, but the store itself is a Frankenstein of different eras, so anything goes.)
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull
luckysaver
Veteran

Post by luckysaver »

The Ralphs Food4Less division has many CURRENT or RECENTLY CLOSED stores that have been in operation for at least 40 or more years in the same location (either as Ralphs/Food4Less or a predecessor banner such as Alpha Beta, The Boys, and Hughes):

- Bellflower CA Ralphs #85, which recently closed late last year. This store was stuck in the 1980s - it had tan checkerboard decor package. It was never remodeled with the current variety of Kroger interior decor packages. I think it was previously a Market Basket (former Kroger division in SoCal long before Kroger acquired Ralphs).

- A good chunk of current Ralphs (most of the stores numbered in the 200s and 600s) and a few Food4Less locations (such as #326 in LA's Canoga Park and the recently remodeled #381 in LA's Mid City area) were originally built in the early 1960s for Alpha Beta or The Boys, which rolled into Ralphs in 1995. About a dozen Food4Less stores were ex Zodys/Ralphs Giant stores (#368 in Torrance and #337 in West Covina). Several stores were former Market Baskets. Most of the 700-series Ralphs stores (mostly of the Fresh Fare type) were ex-Hughes Markets (which rolled into Ralphs in 1997).

luckysaver
mburb1981
Contributor

Post by mburb1981 »

16919 Kercheval Avenue in Grosse Pointe, Michigan is a definite contender. It's been continually in business since December 1940, and is still small (only 8 aisles!), despite many obvious updates across time.
jleyerle
Contributor

Post by jleyerle »

The Grosse Pointe Kroger was entirely renovated a couple years ago (was closed for several weeks) so is completely modern inside...it may or may not be labeled "Fresh Fare" but is certainly to that standard, though in a small footprint. Kroger has a monopoly in that part of town after taking over Farmer Jack--there are 5 stores within the Pointes/Saint Clair Shores including a big store (rebuild of a KMart) which opened about 6 months ago. Meijer isn't terribly close; there is a Trader Joe's and several high-end independent stores, plus a couple Aldi in Detroit (remember Kroger won't place stores in Detroit).
kbraker510
Contributor

Post by kbraker510 »

The Kroger I work in was originally a Foodtown. I believe it was built in 1956 or 1958. If I'm not mistaken there still is a slab of concrete that has the date it was poured and by whom. I will look tomorrow.
decorpackage

Post by decorpackage »

kbraker510 wrote: 02 Dec 2021 19:17 The Kroger I work in was originally a Foodtown. I believe it was built in 1956 or 1958. If I'm not mistaken there still is a slab of concrete that has the date it was poured and by whom. I will look tomorrow.
Since I believe you're referring to 101 6th St in Findlay - that store had it's grand opening January 10, 1956.
kbraker510
Contributor

Post by kbraker510 »

decorpackage wrote: 04 Dec 2021 21:00
kbraker510 wrote: 02 Dec 2021 19:17 The Kroger I work in was originally a Foodtown. I believe it was built in 1956 or 1958. If I'm not mistaken there still is a slab of concrete that has the date it was poured and by whom. I will look tomorrow.
Since I believe you're referring to 101 6th St in Findlay - that store had it's grand opening January 10, 1956.
You are correct. I still haven't taken a pic of the slab yet.