Globe Shopping City

Moderator: Groceteria

jamcool
Veteran

Globe Shopping City

Post by jamcool »

In the 60s, Walgreens dived into the discount store business. Wag's attempt was Globe Shopping City, based in OK City. Globe operated K-Mart-sized stores with grocery dept's (named "Globe Food") in the SW states - AZ, NM, TX, OK with the slogan "Everything Under The Sun For LESS" (Their logo was a smiling Mr. Sun). Globe was apparently successful until the mid-70s, when Walgreen decided to concentrate on drug stores. FedMart bought a lot of the Globe stores (at least in AZ) to expand into the SW - which may have been a reason for their demise in the 80s!
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

Thanks for that bit of history! I have a demo LP of ad jingles from the 70's, and Globe Discount was one of the stores I knew nothing about.
terryinokc
Contributor

Re: Globe Shopping City

Post by terryinokc »

Just found this.....there was never a store in Oklahoma City called Globe.....I remember the one in Lubbock.

Unless it was under another name like Shoppers World or Founders Fair....both similar types of stores to Globe.
wnetmacman
Veteran

Re: Globe Shopping City

Post by wnetmacman »

In some of the recent digging I've been doing in Newspapers.com, I found that Globe had two stores in Shreveport, LA; one at 505 W. 70th St. This store was repurposed as a furniture store in the 80's, and is currently a warehouse for the regional Ivan Smith Furniture.
The second, smaller store was at 745 Shreveport-Barksdale Highway. It spent a good amount of time as Wal-Mart, and is currently split between Family Dollar, Anytime Fitness an Super 1 Foods.

A third store was in Baton Rouge in the 5900 block Florida Blvd. It has been several things, and is partially tenanted by a Roses store now.

None of these stores made it out of the 70's.
Scott Greer