Was this an old Kroger, or what? (Conroe, TX)

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas.

Moderator: Groceteria

pseudo3d
Veteran

Was this an old Kroger, or what? (Conroe, TX)

Post by pseudo3d »

Address: 1404 North Loop 336 West, Conroe, TX

This store is now Big Lots and previously Goody's, and looks a bit like a Greenhouse, but isn't, since the characteristic "six HVAC units" isn't there and the "greenhouse" is really outdoors but it sure looks that way. Problem is, the Kroger that was in the vicinity was a Family Center, and besides, it's an outdoor area. (Street View link, click on the arrow in the upper left to view from above)
wnetmacman
Veteran

Re: Was this an old Kroger, or what? (Conroe, TX)

Post by wnetmacman »

No, that wasn't Kroger. I don't remember the name, but I believe it was a hardware chain centered around Houston. There are several of them still standing.
Scott Greer
KrogerTexas
Contributor

Post by KrogerTexas »

It was not an old Kroger store. Randall's had a store in this center before moving to South and eventually closing it. The Family Center opened in 1972 and was across the freeway - now currently a Hobby Lobby.

Most Greenhouse stores had one big A/C unit located in the rear of the store with a smaller unit near the front for the Pharmacy and sometimes the office.

I think the 6 units you are talking about were always located near the back of the store were actually air intakes for the engine room and between the squares there were large circles that are the exhaust fans for the engine room.
pseudo3d
Veteran

Post by pseudo3d »

517634 wrote:
pseudo3d wrote:Address: 1404 North Loop 336 West, Conroe, TX

This store is now Big Lots and previously Goody's, and looks a bit like a Greenhouse, but isn't, since the characteristic "six HVAC units" isn't there and the "greenhouse" is really outdoors but it sure looks that way. Problem is, the Kroger that was in the vicinity was a Family Center, and besides, it's an outdoor area. (Street View link, click on the arrow in the upper left to view from above)

Man, I'm over a year late, but check out this former Academy. This location was originally a Handy Dan Hardware store, store number 304 to be exact. You can view the Tax Data online with this address. 8236 S Gessner Rd, Houston, TX 77036 Academy closed in 2015, and it sat vacant for a while. It was eventually gutted, and now a new store is in the process of moving in, but I'm not sure what it is at the moment. Based on the similar facade and mention by another poster that it was a Hardware Store, I think we can definitely say this was originally a Handy Dan.
Somewhere in my collection, I have a list of Handy Dan stores (not all of them, some of them moved or closed prior to their closure) but I'm not sure if this one was listed...I'll check! Thanks!