ID possible fifties Colonial/ Bg Str stores and others in NC

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

Moderator: Groceteria

andysj500

ID possible fifties Colonial/ Bg Str stores and others in NC

Post by andysj500 »

In exploring the history of my community, I think that I have stumbled across a possible 50's era Colonial, two 70s-era Colonial/Big Stars, a 50s/60s era A&P and a 50s/60s era Winn-Dixie. Mind the fact that I am just a rising college freshman, so I do not know much about these stores that older people do. Is there any evidence - any similaries to other stores of those chains to support my theories? Thank you.

The pictures and my theories are on my website

http://www.geocities.com/ussenterprise1 ... rkets.html
Dave
Veteran

Re: ID possible fifties Colonial/ Bg Str stores and others i

Post by Dave »

andysj500 wrote:In exploring the history of my community, I think that I have stumbled across a possible 50's era Colonial, two 70s-era Colonial/Big Stars, a 50s/60s era A&P and a 50s/60s era Winn-Dixie. Mind the fact that I am just a rising college freshman, so I do not know much about these stores that older people do. Is there any evidence - any similaries to other stores of those chains to support my theories? Thank you.

The pictures and my theories are on my website

http://www.geocities.com/ussenterprise1 ... rkets.html
Nice job. Don't call me older (just kidding).

I think that you're spot on regarding the McMorrine Street store being a Colonial and I believe your Winn-Dixie is also a Colonial. I say that because of the corrugated metal facade.

Have you checked the Elizabeth City library to see if they have any old city directories? If they do, you can verify all of your locations.
Dave
Veteran

Post by Dave »

I went by a former Colonial location in Richmond today (from 1965, perhaps earlier) that has a canopy exactly the same as your Winn-Dixie ("wavy"). I think it's a Colonial for sure.
andysj500

Post by andysj500 »

Thanks for the information! I don't think that our local library has any city directories, and they certanly don't keep any old phonebooks (I haven't a clue why), so making any further identifications will be difficult.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Dave wrote:I went by a former Colonial location in Richmond today (from 1965, perhaps earlier) that has a canopy exactly the same as your Winn-Dixie ("wavy"). I think it's a Colonial for sure.
I tend to agree on this one; it's almost certainly a Colonial. There's also one with that canopy in Camden SC.
andysj500

directories

Post by andysj500 »

I take back my last reply several months ago- It turns out that there are many city directories for Elizabeth City in the local library. I guess you just have to go out and find them online rather than ask the overworked librarian...I'll check 'em out next time I go home!