The Different Formats of Fred Meyer

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.

Moderator: Groceteria

dcpeachy

Re: The Different Formats of Fred Meyer

Post by dcpeachy »

Hobby Lobby and Office Depot are in the Wal-Mart/Grand Central (white roof). The store to the left (west) in the view is now a Smith's, but was a Lucky-SavOn when I first moved to Albuquerque. The store to the right (east) is now an Ace Hardware and Petco, along with a number of other smaller shops. The larger building to the west was a Hasting's Entertainment store, but closed. The JB's in the northeast corner of the parking lot is now a southwestern decor store.
Brian Lutz wrote:I lived the first sixteen years of my life in New Mexico, and I have (somewhat vague) memories of shopping with my Mom at the Grand Central store in Santa Fe. I believe it closed sometime in either 1984 or 85, and sat vacant for a while before a Wal-Mart moved in. They stuck around for about 7-8 years, then moved to a new freestanding store down the road. Later on a Hobby Lobby moved into the storefront, and appears to still be there (at least it was when the birds-eye photos on Live Maps were taken.)

Live Maps link

I have no idea what's there now, but when I lived down there, the grocery store on the left side of the photo was an Albertson's, and the one on the right was first a Skaggs Alpha Beta, then later a Jewel Osco. I'm surprised how little has actually changed here now that I look at this. The Wendy's in the parking lot has been around for as long as I can remember, and the JBs has been around for ages as well.
Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

A week ago I was in Portland, and noticed that Fred Meyer has shut down the seperate Home Improvement building at 82nd & Foster, and the main store has been remodeled into a Marketplace store with no apparel department. This is one of the last Fred Meyer stores which had the home improvement center in a seperate building. However, like the Glisan store, this store did not adapt the Marketplace signage.
StoreLiker2006
Veteran

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

Super S wrote:A week ago I was in Portland, and noticed that Fred Meyer has shut down the seperate Home Improvement building at 82nd & Foster, and the main store has been remodeled into a Marketplace store with no apparel department. This is one of the last Fred Meyer stores which had the home improvement center in a seperate building. However, like the Glisan store, this store did not adapt the Marketplace signage.
Considering that this store as a whole traces its lineage back to 1940, this was the oldest Freddy's to gain a Home Improvement & Garden Center. The Home Improvement/Garden Center was added with the store's 1966 overhaul (the new version opened that November), which back then was a milestone for FM. I guess this is attributed to the fact not many people like going from one building to another.

FM had consolidated the HI&G departments (originally in separate buildings) at the following locations:
*Clackamas (opened 5/79) - 16301 SE 82nd Dr, Clackamas, OR (the original HI&G building was at 16440 SE 82nd Dr; this was merged into the main store with the 2000 remodel) - Both buildings were previously remodeled in 1988.
*Tigard (opened 3/67) - 11565 SW Pacific Hwy, Tigard, OR (the HI&G dept. was merged into the main store in 2001) - Both buildings were previously remodeled in 1980 and 1988.
*Gateway (opened 11/54) - 1111 NE 102nd Ave (the Garden Center building - w/o HI - was initially in a separate building located at 10000 NE Halsey St; that changed and had merged into the main building with the store's 1989 expansion)
*Interstate (opened 11/53) - 7404 N Interstate Ave (the HI&G building was located at 7433 N Interstate Ave, was added when the store was initially remodeled/expanded in 1965; the entire store was rebuilt from the ground up in 2003-04)

What was the first Freddy's to be built with a Home Improvement & Garden Center from the ground up?

~Ben
Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

StoreLiker2006 wrote:
Super S wrote:A week ago I was in Portland, and noticed that Fred Meyer has shut down the seperate Home Improvement building at 82nd & Foster, and the main store has been remodeled into a Marketplace store with no apparel department. This is one of the last Fred Meyer stores which had the home improvement center in a seperate building. However, like the Glisan store, this store did not adapt the Marketplace signage.
Considering that this store as a whole traces its lineage back to 1940, this was the oldest Freddy's to gain a Home Improvement & Garden Center. The Home Improvement/Garden Center was added with the store's 1966 overhaul (the new version opened that November), which back then was a milestone for FM. I guess this is attributed to the fact not many people like going from one building to another.

FM had consolidated the HI&G departments (originally in separate buildings) at the following locations:
*Clackamas (opened 5/79) - 16301 SE 82nd Dr, Clackamas, OR (the original HI&G building was at 16440 SE 82nd Dr; this was merged into the main store with the 2000 remodel) - Both buildings were previously remodeled in 1988.
*Tigard (opened 3/67) - 11565 SW Pacific Hwy, Tigard, OR (the HI&G dept. was merged into the main store in 2001) - Both buildings were previously remodeled in 1980 and 1988.
*Gateway (opened 11/54) - 1111 NE 102nd Ave (the Garden Center building - w/o HI - was initially in a separate building located at 10000 NE Halsey St; that changed and had merged into the main building with the store's 1989 expansion)
*Interstate (opened 11/53) - 7404 N Interstate Ave (the HI&G building was located at 7433 N Interstate Ave, was added when the store was initially remodeled/expanded in 1965; the entire store was rebuilt from the ground up in 2003-04)

What was the first Freddy's to be built with a Home Improvement & Garden Center from the ground up?

~Ben
Fred Meyer has also consolidated back into one building at the following locations:

Longview, 3184 Ocean beach Highway. Store opened in mid-70s. Major remodel in 1989, main store addition on west end, for apparel department. Home improvement, garden center, sporting goods, and automotive moved into a vacant building on SE corner, which was once a marina Safeway. This building also received an expansion.
2003-2004: Main store expansion on east end, new grocery department. Building totally gutted and remodeled, and all departments consolidated back into one building. Former Home improvement building demolished to make way for Fred Meyer gas station.

I don't know much about these locations prior to the mid 90s, when I first moved to Vancouver:

Vancouver/Hazel Dell, 7700 Highway 99: late 50s or early 60s opening. Unsure when home center opened. 1997? main building totally gutted and remodeled into "marketplace" store. Home Improvement building closed. Briefly operated as a Pep Boys store. Currently a Salvation Army thrift store.

Vancouver/Fourth Plain, 2200 NE Grand Blvd: Opened in 1968. Unsure when Home Improvement building (across Grand Blvd) opened. 1996 or 1997, store mostly gutted and converted into "marketplace" store. Home Improvement building closed. Currently offices for Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife.
Main store closed in 2008, replaced by new store in a development called, ironically, Grand Central, near highway 14 to the south.
marshd1000
Veteran

Post by marshd1000 »

The Lake City Fred Meyer store in Seattle also had a separate Home Improvement and Garden Center across the street from the original store. It should be noted that this particular store was a non food Freddys that had been a Marketime Drug. If my memory serves me correctly, I believe that store didn't even have a apparel section. It might have at one time. But eventually Fred Meyer either built or acquired a building across the streetfrom the old Marketime location and operated it's Home Improvement Center there for many years. Eventually, both buildings were demolished and a public street was relocated to build a complete Fred Meyer in Lake City.
StoreLiker2006
Veteran

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

Super S wrote:Fred Meyer has also consolidated back into one building at the following locations:

Longview, 3184 Ocean beach Highway. Store opened in mid-70s. Major remodel in 1989, main store addition on west end, for apparel department. Home improvement, garden center, sporting goods, and automotive moved into a vacant building on SE corner, which was once a marina Safeway. This building also received an expansion.
2003-2004: Main store expansion on east end, new grocery department. Building totally gutted and remodeled, and all departments consolidated back into one building. Former Home improvement building demolished to make way for Fred Meyer gas station.

I don't know much about these locations prior to the mid 90s, when I first moved to Vancouver:

Vancouver/Hazel Dell, 7700 Highway 99: late 50s or early 60s opening. Unsure when home center opened. 1997? main building totally gutted and remodeled into "marketplace" store. Home Improvement building closed. Briefly operated as a Pep Boys store. Currently a Salvation Army thrift store.

Vancouver/Fourth Plain, 2200 NE Grand Blvd: Opened in 1968. Unsure when Home Improvement building (across Grand Blvd) opened. 1996 or 1997, store mostly gutted and converted into "marketplace" store. Home Improvement building closed. Currently offices for Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife.
Main store closed in 2008, replaced by new store in a development called, ironically, Grand Central, near highway 14 to the south.
Hazel Dell - according to the official FM store openings database, opened November 1962. 1st major remodel 1985.
Fourth Plain - according to the official FM store openings database, opened May 1967. 1st major remodel on both buildings 1981.
Longview - according to the official FM store openings database, opened June 1973. 1st major remodel 1981.

~Ben
Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

StoreLiker2006 wrote:Hazel Dell - according to the official FM store openings database, opened November 1962. 1st major remodel 1985.
Fourth Plain - according to the official FM store openings database, opened May 1967. 1st major remodel on both buildings 1981.
Longview - according to the official FM store openings database, opened June 1973. 1st major remodel 1981.

~Ben
Thank you for providing these dates. Where did you find them?
StoreLiker2006
Veteran

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

Super S wrote:
StoreLiker2006 wrote:Hazel Dell - according to the official FM store openings database, opened November 1962. 1st major remodel 1985.

~Ben
Thank you for providing these dates. Where did you find them?
They were taken from a database sent to me in 2004 from an employee of the Freddy's PA (Public Affairs) headquarters, Alexis Anderson. Have you met him/her (presumably her) yet? There is a disclaimer in the d'base that says some dates may be approximate, and that if any corrections to the following are found, please send them to FM Public Affairs at 33N, PO Box 42121, Portland, OR 97242.

~Ben
Brian Lutz
Veteran

Post by Brian Lutz »

Could I get dates on the Bellevue and Kirkland WA stores? I've been meaning to go dig up some of the history of the Bellevue store (which went through both White Front and Valu-Mart\Leslies before finally ending up as a Fred Meyer) and it would be helpful to have at least a month to look at before heading for the microfilm. Also, I doubt there's anything about former stores in there, but just on the off chance that there is, does that database have anything on the former Crossroads store (originally Marketime) in Bellevue?
The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0 - Seattle Area Malls, Retail History, and other random things.
StoreLiker2006
Veteran

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

Brian Lutz wrote:Could I get dates on the Bellevue and Kirkland WA stores? I've been meaning to go dig up some of the history of the Bellevue store (which went through both White Front and Valu-Mart\Leslies before finally ending up as a Fred Meyer) and it would be helpful to have at least a month to look at before heading for the microfilm. Also, I doubt there's anything about former stores in there, but just on the off chance that there is, does that database have anything on the former Crossroads store (originally Marketime) in Bellevue?
Hi, according to the FM database I have:

*The Bellevue Freddy's originally opened on October 11, 1975. Major remodels/expansions occurred in 1976 and 1995.

Sorry, but I need more info on the Kirkland location (what is its address?).

~Ben
Brian Lutz
Veteran

Post by Brian Lutz »

I know that there was actually a fairly recent major remodel of the Bellevue store (sometime within the last five years or so) although I can't be exactly sure of when that was.

The one in Kirkland may also be known as the Totem Lake store. If you need the address, it's 12221 120th Ave NE, Kirkland WA. I believe it opened sometime around 1980 or so.

Thanks for the info.
The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0 - Seattle Area Malls, Retail History, and other random things.
StoreLiker2006
Veteran

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

Brian Lutz wrote:I know that there was actually a fairly recent major remodel of the Bellevue store (sometime within the last five years or so) although I can't be exactly sure of when that was.

The one in Kirkland may also be known as the Totem Lake store. If you need the address, it's 12221 120th Ave NE, Kirkland WA. I believe it opened sometime around 1980 or so.

Thanks for the info.
That would indeed be the Totem Lake location, and according to my FM d'base, it opened on November 7, 1980. Major remodels commenced in 1989 and 2000.

~Ben
Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

This certainly applies...today I heard an ad on a Portland radio station for the "FM Red Tag Store" at 82nd & Foster. I know that the Home Improvement center was recently moved into the main Fred Meyer building there. My guess is that Fred Meyer is clearing off a lot of discontinued inventory. I don't know if this is a permanent store, or just a temporary one.

Several years back, I remember they had a big clearance sale at the Clackamas location after they also moved the Home Improvement center back to the main building. That one consisted mostly of merchandise from just after they scaled back the merchandise (from several locations) stocked in the Home Improvement centers, such as lumber, water heaters, etc. I picked up a nice fiberglass stepladder cheap which I still have.