Montgomery Alabama

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

Moderator: Groceteria

Edric Floyd
Veteran

Montgomery Alabama

Post by Edric Floyd »

I posted on other threads some photos of recently closed Winn-Dixie stores in Montgomery Alabama.

Winn-Dixie has a distribution center in Montgomery and has several stores. They closed stores in mostly lower income areas (South) and removed the "Marketplace" name from others (East)

Current Winn-Dixie (1970's vintage) still open on Norman Bridge Road near the Montgomery Country Club and Huntingdon College

Brunos/FoodWorld (ahold) is a large player in Montgomery however Brunos closed a couple smaller stores and had built a huge upscale store in the affluent East side of Montgomery. Food World, the discounter is located inside the city limits and the only remaining supermarket on South Blvd.

A few of the Bruno's stores look very simular to some Albertson's stores in Florida. However I have not verified that Albertsons ever operated in Montgomery or when they left. I have known the Brunos and Food World stores personally since the late 1980's as I have traveled as an adult to visit my grandmother in Montgomery.

Bruno (ahold) also owned a few FoodFAIR stores in the inner city, the last one closing in 2005. They were identical to the Bruno's FoodWorld and FoodMax format except by name.

Calhoun Foods is a local chain that targets the African-American community in Montgomery and Tuskegee. Calhoun Foods occupys many former Winn-Dixie, Delchamps and A&P stores in the city. Mostly in lower income areas.

Montgomery has 2 Wal-Mart Supercenters (Atlanta Hwy, East of town & South/East Bypass) and one under construction close to Downtown just off I-85 at Ann Street.

Entering the market in 2005 is Publix, with two stores and counting. One is near Huntingdon College and the other is in the Eastchase area.

Former stores that served Montgomery were Delchamps, A&P/The Family Mart and two Super K-Marts. The K-Marts were standard 1970's era stores converted to Super K in the late 1990's but were closed during the K-Mart bankruptcy closings around 2002 or 2003. They were located on Atlanta Hwy (NE Montgomery) and South Blvd. Today there are NO K-marts in the Montgomery area.

Food World on South Blvd

Former SUPER K-MART on South Blvd.

Former Brunos on McGhee Road in SE Montgomery

While taking photos of the Bruno's store there were workers inside. I didn't ask questions. But this store has been closed for at least 5 years. And this store is across from the recently dead Montgomery Mall and all of the dead retail along South Blvd. If they are reopening this store, it would be a surprise.

Former Winn-Dixie (1960's) closed in 2005 Now Calhoun Foods
East Patton Avenue at Normandale Plaza

Former (1970's) Winn-Dixie on South Blvd...across from closed K-Mart pictured above.

Former Family Mart on South Blvd across from closed K-Mart pictures above...on same side of street as the closed Winn-Dixie pictured above.