Did Ann & Hope have a supermarket?

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

pseudo3d
Veteran

Did Ann & Hope have a supermarket?

Post by pseudo3d »

Something I read in Labelscar says that did, though I can't find any information more (or contradicting that). Anyone have any confirmation/denial?
BillyGr
Veteran

Re: Did Ann & Hope have a supermarket?

Post by BillyGr »

First - note that I only went to one of their stores one time, so it's certainly possible that other locations were different or that they changed over time (as seems to be referred to in the article).

However, from what I remember it was similar to any of the other discount stores of the time, which means that they would have had some food items (packaged goods, snacks, candy etc.) but not a full supermarket (or even as much of one as a Target or WalMart does in their super stores today).
retail_person_247
Contributor

Re: Did Ann & Hope have a supermarket?

Post by retail_person_247 »

From what I've read Ann & Hope did this thing where somebody could sub-lease a part of the Ann & Hope property and they would put a door in between their business and the Ann & Hope store. I heard Stop & Shop did this with one of the Ann & Hope stores (I'm not sure which one). So there might have a been a supermarket next to Ann & Hope with a door connecting both stores from the inside of the building.
Retail_247