Former Albertson turned Kroger in Houston

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas.

Moderator: Groceteria

KMJonOBR
Contributor

Re: Former Albertson turned Kroger in Houston

Post by KMJonOBR »

Hi, after doing my own research on this store, I have come to the conclusion that the building along with the fuel center across the tracks was definitely built as Albertsons and was later sold to Kroger and is now YES Prep White Oak campus. I don't know if Kroger operated the fuel center, it appears to be independently owned/operated. At some point it was a Diamond Shamrock branded store which isn't a brand that Kroger or Albertsons operates.
wnetmacman
Veteran

Re: Former Albertson turned Kroger in Houston

Post by wnetmacman »

If you see a Kroger, HEB, Food Town or a few others in Houston that look like former Albertsons, they probably are.

You see, Albertsons left Houston in 2003. They couldn't keep up with Kroger, HEB, Food Town or the others. The stores were sold off in piecemeal, with most of them being immediately occupied by the purchasing company.

I don't know about Food Town, but HEB and Kroger have extensively remodeled the stores they bought. I went to one in April of this year, and it had the basic layout, but looked nothing like it would have in its Gray and Pink Albertsons décor.

Kroger found that some of the stores were not workable as well, and they have begun abandoning them. The store you mention and a store in Willis have both been abandoned, with the Willis store moving across the freeway to a new Marketplace store.

As far as the gas station, Kroger took over all the fuel centers at the stores they bought as well, so it's entirely possible.

There's a lot more at this thread:
http://www.groceteria.com/board/viewtop ... =15&t=3202
Scott Greer