Was the Sharon Hill, PA Acme slated to close years ago?

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Moderator: Groceteria

Ephrata1966
Veteran

Was the Sharon Hill, PA Acme slated to close years ago?

Post by Ephrata1966 »

I heard on the Acme Style blog that it was. Is there any truth to this? When would those plans have been made? Because there was a Food Fair down the road, Acme might have planned on relocating it as early as 1979. The store may also have had a 20-year lease, and it opened in 1959. Here is this Acme to clear up any confusion: http://acmestyleblog.blogspot.com/2011/ ... ll-pa.html
neil mcauliffe
Contributor

Re: Was the Sharon Hill, PA Acme slated to close years ago?

Post by neil mcauliffe »

Yes there was a Food Fair at 1442 Chester Pike in Sharon Hill store #167. It probably would have converted to PP in the late 60s. I assume it lasted until the end but I can't say for sure because I was not familar with their stores in Delaware county.
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

Oh yes, it would have converted to Pantry Pride. But do you know which Food Fairs never did? I have heard a couple times that there were some in the city. Would they have been in "rich" districts?
neil mcauliffe
Contributor

Post by neil mcauliffe »

I think by 1970 all of the stores in the Philadelphia region were converted to Pantry Pride. The ones that they did not convert were the older stores that had no future and were closed when the leases expired. Some of those I remember were Adams and the Roosevelt Blvd., Tulip and Allegheny and I believe 9th and Allegheny. Harbison and the Roosevelt Blvd. was closed but eventually it was demolished and they built a new PP store (currently an Acme). The same procedure was followed with the last of the Best Markets. The last two I remember were Frankford and Girard and on North Front Street at the York-Dauphin Frankford El stop.

The last FF I remember being converted to PP in the city was the store at Knights and Woodhaven.
werememberretail
Contributor

Post by werememberretail »

neil mcauliffe wrote:I think by 1970 all of the stores in the Philadelphia region were converted to Pantry Pride. The ones that they did not convert were the older stores that had no future and were closed when the leases expired. Some of those I remember were Adams and the Roosevelt Blvd., Tulip and Allegheny and I believe 9th and Allegheny. Harbison and the Roosevelt Blvd. was closed but eventually it was demolished and they built a new PP store (currently an Acme). The same procedure was followed with the last of the Best Markets. The last two I remember were Frankford and Girard and on North Front Street at the York-Dauphin Frankford El stop.

The last FF I remember being converted to PP in the city was the store at Knights and Woodhaven.
so I'm thinking that after say 1971 or so The "Food Fair" name was a corporate name only no longer a retail brand
neil mcauliffe
Contributor

Post by neil mcauliffe »

Basically that would be true in the Philly region. The sign on the HQ at 30th Street always said Food Fair. I'm not sure it is true for other areas such as Florida. Steve Landry who often posts on this site is an expert on FF who could answer that question.

They also experimented with the name Food Fair Quality Discount. I think they had a few stores in south Jersey with that name but I think they eventually became PP.