Defunct Video Store Chains?

Moderator: Groceteria

LadyNoir
Contributor

Defunct Video Store Chains?

Post by LadyNoir »

Looks like Blockbuster is not doing well at all according to this article

http://www.cinematical.com/2010/03/03/b ... e-quarter/

I know Hollywood Video has fallen by the wayside and with competition such as Red Box and Netflix being more and more commonplace, Blockbuster is not sure to last. But does anyone remember some of the local/regional chains pre the Blockbuster monopoly? Someone in the comments section mentions one called Planet Video.
tesg
Veteran

Re: Defunct Video Store Chains?

Post by tesg »

In Iowa, we had Movies to Go, who was sold to Moovies, who in turn was sold to Video Update, who in turn was sold to Movie Gallery, who also became the owners of Hollywood Video.

Hollywood isn't completely going away, but it's inevitable. We're losing all of our stores, but Omaha's keeping a few.
wrallen99
Contributor

Post by wrallen99 »

Didn't there used to be a chain called Video Giant?
getemngo

Post by getemngo »

Movie Outpost was in southwest Michigan, based in Otsego or Plainwell if I'm remembering correctly. It was bought out by Movie Gallery around 2004.

Movie Gallery used a weirdly inefficient conversion process. They would remodel the interior to Movie Gallery standards (keeping the exterior Movie Outpost signage), then relocate to a brand new Movie Gallery several months later.

Even stranger, they followed this process in Hastings without closing the old store. There was a Movie Outpost at 836 W. State and a Movie Gallery at 835 W. State until summer 2008! After this very last Movie Outpost closed (to make way for a Family Fare), yet another Movie Gallery opened at 602 W. State, which is the only Hastings store left today.
danielh_512
Veteran

Post by danielh_512 »

And now Movie Gallery and Hollywood Video is no more. All stores are closing.
wrallen99
Contributor

Post by wrallen99 »

Hollywood locations in Austin have been having going out of business sales, but the one in Georgetown, TX closed a few months ago, still has the stock inside and hasn't been touched like it's ready to open tomorrow.
nysw3636
Veteran

Post by nysw3636 »

What about Victory Video owned by Victory Markets,Inc (aka Great American Food Stores)??
paysh
Contributor

Post by paysh »

I must agree with the article posted by LadyNoir; Blockbuster is in really bad shape, it would appear. The Blockbuster in my town in Florida disappeared over night, as did the one in the next town over. It was surprising that they stayed open as long as they did with, from what I saw, little or no traffic.
bobsjers
Contributor

Post by bobsjers »

I think Blockbuster was bought out by Dish Network. They will probably still close stores.

In Philadelphia, I remember West Coast Video. They have been out of business a while now.

Bob
crainbebo
Contributor

Post by crainbebo »

(I haven't been on here for a few years!)

Like everyone's said, Hollywood Video is gone and most Blockbusters are gone as well.

We had Video Update in the Seattle-Tacoma area for many years (there was one on the Mukilteo Speedway hwy 525), and also Video West (which had many locations, the one on 228th St SE in Bothell turned into a Blockbuster and after many years has shuttered), as well as literally zillions of local chains. Near where I used to live was a video store called 75 Cent Video, on SR-527. If you signed up for a membership, you could get rentals for 75c. This was around the late 1980s and early 1990s when video stores and the VHS format took over every city block...

-crainbebo