Acme in New York

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

drpep
Contributor

Re: Acme in New York

Post by drpep »

Acme was still in NY during the 80's. The Acme in Bath that is now the Salvation Army store was briefly a P&C store. P&C at the time also had, and still has, a store in the plaza around the corner, almost behind the Salvation Army location.
machias

Post by machias »

I can think of two Acme stores in Central New York- one was in Pulaski, N.Y. (along the eastern shore of Lake Ontario) which I think closed around '79 or '80 and became a Super Duper (independently owned). We used to shop at that store all the time.

The second was in Northern Lights Shopping Center in Mattydale, just north of Syracuse. That closed in the late 1970s as well.
sbtinme
Contributor

Post by sbtinme »

drpep wrote:Acme was still in NY during the 80's.
I was working for Kraft Foods in Central PA and in this area of NY state as late as 1994 and these ACME stores were all open then. Off the top of my head, I can remember Pen Yan, Hornell, Bath, and Watkins Glen.... all in NY state. All of them, at that point, were terribly dated and worn out.
werememberretail
Contributor

Post by werememberretail »

sbtinme wrote:
I was working for Kraft Foods in Central PA and in this area of NY state as late as 1994 and these ACME stores were all open then. Off the top of my head, I can remember Pen Yan, Hornell, Bath, and Watkins Glen.... all in NY state. All of them, at that point, were terribly dated and worn out.
These were probably the stores Acme probably sold to the soon to be defunct PennTrafic/Quality/P&C chain, as they did buy 45 Acme store around that time.
trex354

Re: Acme in UP State N.Y.

Post by trex354 »

TW-Upstate NY wrote:To try to get the Acme/NY State discussion back in the proper forum, I've got a question or two then. Acme had a presence where I live. I know for sure they had a store in Johnstown which closed in late '73. I don't know for certain if this was a replacement for a smaller store they had closer to downtown but the 1966-67 city directory lists an Acme market at another address. That one was gone by 1969 or so. I find it hard to believe they'd have two stores in such a small city. And if it was a replacement store, it ddn't last very long relatively speaking. I'm also told there was one in Gloversville right next door although I can't confirm that one for sure; it's just something one of my co-workers mentioned once. I do know they had two unit(s) in Utica further west which is getting into Central NY. I say units because one of them was an Acme (in a shopping plaza with a Loblaws of all things) and just down the road a mile or two there was a freestanding Super Saver. These were both still in operation in 1972 but were gone by 1982 and probably earlier because I didn't travel to that area for those ten years or so. I guess my question would be, given they had a presence in Utica, how far did they extend westward in Central NY? Also, Maynes mentions the DOWN state NY stores (which is how we natives refer to that area) being supplied out of Kearney, NJ. Where were the NY stores I've mentioned supplied from?

Hi all. Acme did have a distribution center in Johnstown, PA. The location was called DC #8 and serviced Acme's as far west as the Pittsburg area and east towards Harrisburg. It served stores up into lower New York State and into Maryland. I don't have an address, but will try getting it soon.
webcookie
Contributor

Post by webcookie »

There was an Acme in Middletown, NY on East Main Street. I don't know when it closed. The building is currently occupied by a Family Dollar and Advance Auto Parts.

Edric Floyd
Veteran

Post by Edric Floyd »

There was an ACME in Flushing Queens on Northern Blvd at 156th street as late as 1979/1980. The store spent many years as a Key Food and is currently an H-Mart supermarket (Asian grocery store)

GOOGLE MAP WITH STREET VIEWhttp://maps.google.com/maps?q=156-01+no ... CBQQ8gEwAA

The supermarket is in the corner of the shopping center with a small corner entrance,
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Hi, Are you sure? I know that they had stores in Staten Island ( I worked in or called on all of them) . But I never heard of and Acme in Queens! Perhaps It was and experiment, but you would almost think that they would have set up shop in Brooklyn first. that's a find!
paysh
Contributor

Post by paysh »

There was an Acme store located in Grand Central Plaza in Horseheads, NY. It was an older store with a barrel roof. As I remember, it was not at all busy. The Acme was open in the early 80s, when I lived in Elmira.

I left Elmira in 1984 and the store was still operating.
sbtinme
Contributor

Post by sbtinme »

paysh wrote:There was an Acme store located in Grand Central Plaza in Horseheads, NY. It was an older store with a barrel roof. As I remember, it was not at all busy. The Acme was open in the early 80s, when I lived in Elmira.

I left Elmira in 1984 and the store was still operating.
This one closed, I think, shortly after you left town. Might've been late 1980s. That plaza was about as run down as they come by 1990.

Acmes were still very much in the area, however, until the mid 1990s (see upthread for locations and details).
nysw3636
Veteran

Post by nysw3636 »

sbtinme wrote:
Acme closed 45 of 50 stores operating in New York in 1979. Stores remaining were Bath, Elmira, Hornell, Penn Yan, and Watkins Glen (served by Scanton,PA). Only NY Acme I was in was Bath in the late 70's. My family used to go to Mt. Morris 2 times a year and we did stop there. Memories are slim. Only other was Cape May,NJ (which I think is now closed?)... I believe Acme left NY in early 1995....
trex354

Post by trex354 »

nysw3636 wrote:
sbtinme wrote:
Acme closed 45 of 50 stores operating in New York in 1979. Stores remaining were Bath, Elmira, Hornell, Penn Yan, and Watkins Glen (served by Scanton,PA). Only NY Acme I was in was Bath in the late 70's. My family used to go to Mt. Morris 2 times a year and we did stop there. Memories are slim. Only other was Cape May,NJ (which I think is now closed?)... I believe Acme left NY in early 1995....
trex354

Post by trex354 »

Well,Acme is back in New York State. And four stores in Connecticut are a first for Acme Markets. I have been to several of these stores and they all are in very good locations. The distance from their Lancaster, Pennsylvania distribution center is not very far. I believe these stores will do very well as long as they BEAT their competitors in the area. Local pricing is the main key as I see it.
BillyGr
Veteran

Post by BillyGr »

nysw3636 wrote: Acme closed 45 of 50 stores operating in New York in 1979. Stores remaining were Bath, Elmira, Hornell, Penn Yan, and Watkins Glen (served by Scanton,PA). Only NY Acme I was in was Bath in the late 70's. My family used to go to Mt. Morris 2 times a year and we did stop there. Memories are slim. Only other was Cape May,NJ (which I think is now closed?)... I believe Acme left NY in early 1995....
Still one in Cape May proper (made to look like the area as well) and others in the surrounding area (including one on 9 heading towards the ferry) as well.
Ampersand
Contributor

Re: Acme in UP State N.Y.

Post by Ampersand »

TW-Upstate NY wrote:To try to get the Acme/NY State discussion back in the proper forum, I've got a question or two then. Acme had a presence where I live. I know for sure they had a store in Johnstown which closed in late '73. I don't know for certain if this was a replacement for a smaller store they had closer to downtown but the 1966-67 city directory lists an Acme market at another address. That one was gone by 1969 or so. I find it hard to believe they'd have two stores in such a small city. And if it was a replacement store, it ddn't last very long relatively speaking. I'm also told there was one in Gloversville right next door although I can't confirm that one for sure; it's just something one of my co-workers mentioned once. I do know they had two unit(s) in Utica further west which is getting into Central NY. I say units because one of them was an Acme (in a shopping plaza with a Loblaws of all things) and just down the road a mile or two there was a freestanding Super Saver. These were both still in operation in 1972 but were gone by 1982 and probably earlier because I didn't travel to that area for those ten years or so. I guess my question would be, given they had a presence in Utica, how far did they extend westward in Central NY? Also, Maynes mentions the DOWN state NY stores (which is how we natives refer to that area) being supplied out of Kearney, NJ. Where were the NY stores I've mentioned supplied from?
when you mention the Acme with the Loblaws was that in Johnstown NY? I know the Price Chopper there started as a Loblaws..