Safeway Underground Warehouse

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.

Moderator: Groceteria

judikn@mac.com

Post by judikn@mac.com »

In 2000 I went to an amazing warehouse where we made a pickup for delivery. I believe it was near Kansas City, Missouri. I think the place was called "Subtopia". It was located in some tunnels underground. The pickup was grocery items for Safeway stores, don't remember where it was delivered. But it was an unforgettable stop as the tunnels were huge and very lenthy and well lit, at least the parts we were in. Any info, please post! Thanks :D
Dave
Veteran

Post by Dave »

If it's the same place I'm thinking about, it's an old salt mine(s) that's been outfitted to serve as a warehouse/logistics operation for multiple businesses.
judikn@mac.com

Post by judikn@mac.com »

Sounds like it could be the one. There's a Flying J on I 435 nearby and it seems that it is in the urban area of KC or maybe Independence. Yes, it had many other businesses in it. Just an amzing place. Never been in a tunnel like it. Appreciate the feedback.
tesg
Veteran

Post by tesg »

http://www.allbusiness.com/periodicals/ ... 814-1.html

Link to an article that has a nice quick history in its "free" section (Page 1 is a preview, then you have to register to read the rest. But most will have their curiosity satisfied just with the first page.)
judikn@mac.com

Post by judikn@mac.com »

Thanks tesg, found it and sure enough, that's the tunnel. It just came to me that even tho I'd been there, couldn't remember where it was. :D