All Pay'n Save's in Seattle as of 1980! From old ad!

Moderator: Groceteria

crainbebo
Contributor

All Pay'n Save's in Seattle as of 1980! From old ad!

Post by crainbebo »

In 1980, Pay 'n Save had 26 locations. These locations were in:

Downtown Seattle
4th and Pike (Closed Sun.)

Northend
Aurora Village
Ballard
Lake Forest Park
Lynnwood-Edmonds
Northgate
University Village
University Way
Wedgwood

Westside
Westwood Village
Burien

Central
Rainier Ave.
Rainier Beach

Eastside
Bellevue
Factoria Square
Evergreen Village-Bellevue
Mercer Island
Redmond
Totem Lake-Kirkland

Southend
Auburn
Auburn North
Kent-East Hill
Renton Highlands
Renton
Sea-Tac Village
Southcenter

Were all of these changed to Rite Aids? What were the addresses? Pay 'n Save did not list addresses in this ad except for 4th and Pike.
Brian Lutz
Veteran

Re: All Pay'n Save's in Seattle as of 1980! From old ad!

Post by Brian Lutz »

I can account for most of the Eastside locations on the list:

Redmond (Bear Creek Village shopping center, opened 1975) - Still operating as Rite Aid
Bellevue (Downtown Bellvue, opened in late 1962) - Still operating as Rite Aid
Factoria Mall (opened 1977) - Still operating as Rite-Aid
Evergreen Village (Approx. 140th and Bel-Red Road) - I think this one may have closed some time ago, prior to the Payless-Rite Aid merger. I believe this is a Staples now.
Mercer Island - There is a Rite Aid store on Mercer Island, but it doesn't look much like any Pay N Save store I'm familiar with. This might have opened later as a Payless (Streetview link)
Totem Lake - Operated as Rite Aid up until early 2007, closed when Rite Aid moved to a nearby freestanding store. Vacant, along with most of the remainder of Totem Lake Mall.

I believe that there's at least one store that opened as a Payless Drug in Bellevue while Pay N Save was still operating (an ad I have in my files from 1977 shows a downtown Bellevue Payless at the location currently occupied by Toys 'R Us, and an Overlake location that's too blurry for me to read on my photo, but I think it might be the current Rite Aid store next to the Overlake Safeway.) I also believe the Eastgate Plaza Rite Aid probably opened as a Payless as well, but can't confirm this.

Edit: Figured out where the Evergreen Village location was. Added info above.
The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0 - Seattle Area Malls, Retail History, and other random things.
marshd1000
Veteran

Post by marshd1000 »

I will update you on the two Westside Pay 'n Save locations. The Westwood Village location made the transition to Rite Aid until the mall was renovated. At that point, Rite Aid remained a tennant at Westwood Village but built a free standing location. The Burien location was sold to Bartell Drugs when PayLess Drugs bought Pay 'n Save as the PayLess was in a adjacent strip mall. Since then Bartell's moved to Burien Town Plaza since the former Pay 'n Save location was torn down to be part of Burien Town Square, a mixed use retail and residential development.
bm10k
Contributor

Post by bm10k »

The Ballard Pay 'n Save was torn down in 1999-2000
and a Safeway was build in its place
tkaye
Veteran

Post by tkaye »

The Fourth & Pike location downtown (in the ca. 1917 Joshua Green Building) was the very first Pay 'n Save founded by Monte L. Bean in 1947. It survived as a PayLess and a Rite Aid until last fall when the descendants of Joshua Green, who still own the building, decided to undertake a massive renovation and chose not to renew the drug store's lease. (Joshua Green founded the Black Ball ferry line, predecessor to today's Washington State Ferries. He also owned Peoples National Bank, which was purchased by U.S. Bank in 1988.)

The only Rite Aid remaining in Downtown Seattle is at Third & Columbia, which I believe Pay 'n Save acquired as part of its 1987 purchase of G.O. Guy.
kth88

Post by kth88 »

Hello, this is a very old thread but I wanted to add some information about the old location of the Pay 'n Save that was located on Mercer Island. It was not at the location of the current (2022) Rite Aid building at 78th Ave SE and SE 32nd St. The Pay 'n Save location was at 7707 SE 27th St, according to an advertisement from a 1973 issue of the Mercer Island Reporter found on the Mercer Island Historical Society website. There was also an Ernst hardware store next door (Ernst was owned by Pay 'n Save by that time). This location is currently the site of a Walgreen's Drug Store--I do not know if it is the same building as the old Pay 'n Save building.
storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

kth88 wrote: 05 Aug 2022 17:57 Hello, this is a very old thread but I wanted to add some information about the old location of the Pay 'n Save that was located on Mercer Island. It was not at the location of the current (2022) Rite Aid building at 78th Ave SE and SE 32nd St. The Pay 'n Save location was at 7707 SE 27th St, according to an advertisement from a 1973 issue of the Mercer Island Reporter found on the Mercer Island Historical Society website. There was also an Ernst hardware store next door (Ernst was owned by Pay 'n Save by that time). This location is currently the site of a Walgreen's Drug Store--I do not know if it is the same building as the old Pay 'n Save building.
I don't think that Mercer Island building was built as Walgreens (currently featuring an incredible 1.9/5 rating on Google), but I am wondering if that is the original Pay N Save building. I see there is a True Value in the center but it looks quite small. Can't imagine such a small Ernst.
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/