Three Generations of Safeway in Marysville, WA?

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.

Moderator: Groceteria

submariner
Veteran

Three Generations of Safeway in Marysville, WA?

Post by submariner »

Driving down State St. in Marysville, I noticed first a Schucks that looks suspiciously like a Gable Safeway. Thoughts?

A little less than a mile down, is a typical 2000-era Safeway with a good example of a Lifestyle Mark I remodel.

And just a few hundred yards from that store is what looks like a 70's era Safeway. The biggest tip is the sign shape along the street. Again, thoughts?

==========
Aaron
"his foxtail-wielding skills are unparalleled, dust bunnies fear his name"
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: Three Generations of Safeway in Marysville, WA?

Post by Groceteria »

submariner wrote:Driving down State St. in Marysville, I noticed first a Schucks that looks suspiciously like a Gable Safeway. Thoughts?
Tempting indeed, but a lot of those gables in the northwest have an annoying tendency to turn out to be Albertsons locations too. I've been fooled on a couple of occasions. Unfortunately, I don't have access to all my photos right now to see if I can find any comparisons.
submariner
Veteran

Post by submariner »

Groceteria wrote:
submariner wrote:Driving down State St. in Marysville, I noticed first a Schucks that looks suspiciously like a Gable Safeway. Thoughts?
Tempting indeed, but a lot of those gables in the northwest have an annoying tendency to turn out to be Albertsons locations too. I've been fooled on a couple of occasions. Unfortunately, I don't have access to all my photos right now to see if I can find any comparisons.
I could be, since there's a newer Albertsons across the street, so both are within close proximity.

Did Albertsons use sharp-point gables? All the older ones I've seen use the rounded-point gable... but I've seen very few older Albertsons, so I could have just missed it...
==========
Aaron
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

It looks like a gable Safeway, as S A F E W A Y fits perfectly in the window spaces.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Jeff wrote:It looks like a gable Safeway, as S A F E W A Y fits perfectly in the window spaces.
I agree it was probably a Safeway, but just wanted to bring up the Albertsons thing, as it's come up before. When I looked at the photo again, I noticed it's asymmetrical. There are four glass panes left of center and five right, which struck me as a little odd. It also makes the brick/stone wall on the right smaller than the one on the left.
tkaye
Veteran

Post by tkaye »

Yes, the Schuck's at Fourth & State was a Safeway from 1963 to 1974. A big portion of the Feb. 28, 1963 Marysville Globe ("Washington's Pioneer Offset Weekly!") was devoted to the grand opening, which you can see here. This store was built behind a ca. 1942 Safeway (presumably the "streamlined" store design) that sat right on the corner. It was demolished to make way for the parking lot.

You're also right that its replacement was up the street at Marysville Plaza (the center where Jo-Ann Fabrics is located), but Safeway occupied the larger Value Village space. Pay 'n Save was where the pet store is now. I'm not sure what was in Jo-Ann's location.
romleys
Veteran

Post by romleys »

Very nice vintage photos!
Charles H:)
submariner
Veteran

Post by submariner »

Agreed, brilliant find on those photos! I wondered about the Value Village and should have gotten a shot of that, oh well. Still, interesting to see three generations still standing.
==========
Aaron