Kroger in England, AR

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

Moderator: Groceteria

Rob72830
Contributor

Kroger in England, AR

Post by Rob72830 »

Growing up in Arkansas there was really only 2 grocery store chains, Safeway and Kroger. I was Googling Kroger when I came upon this strange looking store in England, AR.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 3,0.022659

Does anyone have any idea how old this store is? To me it looks really old, maybe going back to the 50's.

Thanks, Robert
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: Kroger in England, AR

Post by Groceteria »

Most of the signage looks in late-1970s era, but the building could possibly be 1950s, very remodeled. The siting looks a little odd for a 1950s store, though. I'm wondering if maybe it didn't start out as something else entirely.
Andrew T.
Veteran

Post by Andrew T. »

The store facing extending in front of the walkway reminds me a lot of the Kroger on 10th Street in Indianapolis that closed recently.
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Andrew T. wrote:The store facing extending in front of the walkway reminds me a lot of the Kroger on 10th Street in Indianapolis that closed recently.
I noticed that too, and it probably is a late 1950s/eraly 1960s Kroger. Something just seems a little off, though.
Rob72830
Contributor

Post by Rob72830 »

Thanks guys. I am going down there and get some pictures. Hopefully I will be able to get some interior shots.
carolinatraveler
Contributor

Post by carolinatraveler »

It's just a thought, but when you consider the site, the other structures and the surroundings, I can't help but think that those blue stripes to either side of the KROGER lettering are very similar to that used on Ford dealerships in the 1970s and 1980s. The dual blue stripes were broken in the middle to allow lettering for the dealership name, just as Kroger has been positioned there in the photo. Any chance that this was a former car dealership that was converted to a Kroger after closing, and the Kroger signage was imported from an older location and simply reinstalled at this site?
krogerclerk
Veteran

Post by krogerclerk »

Kroger moved to this location in 1997. I'm pretty sure it was a Safeway/Harvest Foods prior to that.

Here's a google street view of the pre-superstore era Kroger just down the road from the current Kroger at Pine Bluff Highway and East Nichols Street.
The sign post would have sported an oval Kroger sign:

http://maps.google.com/maps/svpw?url=ht ... l=en&gl=us