Cheraw, SC

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

Moderator: Groceteria

DanG
Contributor

Cheraw, SC

Post by DanG »

While driving through South Carolina recently I found these 2 buildings in Cheraw, SC. One was an centennial style A&P (my favorite A&P). The second was across the street from the A&P and looked like it was a grocery in a former life, but i'm not sure what. Anybody have any suggestions?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/friendsofb ... 408738739/
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: Cheraw, SC

Post by Groceteria »

I'm inclined to guess Winn-Dixie, but I'm not 100% sure.
carolinatraveler
Contributor

Post by carolinatraveler »

Looks like the South Carolina (and southern NC) small town version of the Dreyfus Colonial design. Take a look at the Colonial turned Piggly Wiggly in Hamlet, NC on the main site. Pay particular attention to the brick work. There are similar buildings converted in Wilmington and Bennettsville, as well.
In the 1969 telephone book, both a Colonial and a Winn Dixie are listed along that street, without address numbers, but my guess is this was the Colonial.

Wayne Henderson
DanG
Contributor

Post by DanG »

I thought possibly Winn Dixie, I have seen some older stores in Florida that have corner brick work like this store, but the corrugated metal over the walkway was different. I am from south Florida and not familiar with the local Carolina chains. These stores were a couple of blocks from a well kept up and busy downtown area and I didn't see any newer shopping centers or stores in the immediate area as I was passing through. I first saw the A&P (I love the Centennial A&P's) and turned around to get Pics and then saw the the other store across the street.
I drove across the street to get a closer look and take some pics of it too, but the guy in the pick up wasn't happy about me looking around, so I got back in the car and got a few quick shots before I left. I can tell you that it looks like this was probably divided into two stores, Grocery and drug store maybe? The white boxy looking thing in front looks to have been a more recent addition.
Hope this helps!
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

carolinatraveler wrote:Looks like the South Carolina (and southern NC) small town version of the Dreyfus Colonial design.
Colonial occurred to me too; my only hesitation was that it looked a little big. But I'll defer to you on this one.
Edric Floyd
Veteran

Post by Edric Floyd »

Having spent a few summers in South Carolina I recall this being a Big Star or a Piggly Wiggly in the mid 1980's. I had relatives in both Cheraw and Hamlet NC which isn't that far away. Someone mentioned the store in Hamlet (photo on this site) and I know that was a Big Star in the summer of 1984 with a Centennial A&P that was open around the corner. I don't remember if the A&P in Cheraw was still an A&P at the time but there was a more modern Winn-Dixie in Cheraw.
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

The corrugated metal and the door placement looks like a Colonial. Piggly-Wiggly and Winn-Dixie stores would not have been any larger; was this a shallow lot, perhaps, so that they needed shorter aisles.
terryinokc
Contributor

Post by terryinokc »

My guess is Colonial also....the metal front of the building and the yellow/beige/tan brick on the building's corner looks like other Colonial's I have seen thru the years.