A Glimpse into the Bellevue Safeway from 1969

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.

Moderator: Groceteria

Brian Lutz
Veteran

A Glimpse into the Bellevue Safeway from 1969

Post by Brian Lutz »

Here's something that I ran across in some of my microfilm research a couple of months ago, but the pictures I took at the time came out blurry, so I had to try again. It's an article from a November 1969 edition of the Bellevue American discussing three bag girls (which these days is something we wouldn't give a second thought to, but was apparently quite unusual at the time) working at the old Marina Safeway in Bellevue that just closed earlier this year.

The pictures from the article, showing some interior details of the Safeway from that time. You can just barely see a roof gable in the corner, and some interesting signage in the back.

The article which accompanied this (click either of these photos for a larger version.)

I also found a couple of other photos from another Safeway grand opening here in 1967 (on Mercer Island, the vacant store actually shows up on Live Search Birds eye view but I don't know if it's still around anymore,) that I'll have to post as well once I finish sorting through some stuff.
The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0 - Seattle Area Malls, Retail History, and other random things.