Value City Department Stores

Moderator: Groceteria

Kroger472
Contributor

Value City Department Stores

Post by Kroger472 »

AP- This is from Oct. 28th, 2008, I just noticed this and I wasn't really sure where to put it:
Discount retailer Value City Department Stores and its subsidiaries have filed for bankruptcy protection and plan to close their stores. Bankruptcy papers filed in New York say the Columbus, Ohio-based company blames declining sales, tight credit and the sour economy for crippling its business.
The filings follow a series of restructuring efforts and layoffs aimed at keeping the business afloat. It has closed more than 75 stores since December 2007. It has 66 open stores and more than 4,500 employees in 14 states.

Founded in 1917 and formerly associated with Value City Furniture. Also operated under the names Schottenstein's and Valley Fair.
I can remember going into a couple of these while on trips out of curiosity and they always struck me as having a 70's-ish feeling. The decor somehow seemed out of place, of course the stores were decorated with their old logo so I suppose that has something to do with it too.
tesg
Veteran

Re: Value City Department Stores

Post by tesg »

http://mywebtimes.com/archives/ottawa/d ... ?id=369400

Article on the store in Ottawa, IL, including a photo. It's an older store that looks just as cool in person as it does in the photo.