Long John Silver's freestanding stores

Moderator: Groceteria

javelin
Veteran

Long John Silver's freestanding stores

Post by javelin »

About 6 months ago, the two LJS stores in Victorville, CA were turned into Starbucks, just as the chain was feeling the pain of having too many stores. One remains in Barstow, and a combo LJS/KFC opened several miles away. I hadn't noticed until now that the freestanding stores are disappearing. I always thought the decor and the bell by the door were cheesy, but they were easily discernible. Now everything is starting to look the same.

Is this something happening to the entire chain?
Jeff
Veteran

Re: Long John Silver's freestanding stores

Post by Jeff »

The store that for a long time was in Puente Hills closed a few years back, saying "visit us in our new location in Baldwin Park", which is 10 miles away.

The new stores are mostly combo stores with A&W Root Beer it looks like.
Kroger472
Contributor

Post by Kroger472 »

I remember one being in Ypsilanti MI, but like so much in that state it closed about ten years ago. It is a locally owned Thai Restaurant now. On the opposite side of town they built a KFC/Long John Silvers in 2005.
luckysaver
Veteran

Post by luckysaver »

I thought Puente Hills recently closed. This building has been there a long time and used the current logo at the time they closed. Only the frame and part of the exterior is left standing when I drove by a couple of weeks ago. Its probably being converted to some other restaurant or shop.

LJS is owned the restaurant group that owns A&W Restaurants.

luckysaver
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Been closed for over a year. It closed around the time they opened the BP location.
tesg
Veteran

Post by tesg »

It's more of a thing that's becoming common with the various Yum! brands than Yum! actively trying to phase out the LJS standalones.

We still have at least two freestanding LJS here, and a couple of A&W/LJS combos.

In Oklahoma City, KFC/LJS combos are almost universal.

I know of a Taco Bell/LJS combo in the Twin Cities (MN).

It really depends on what the local franchisee wants to do.
lvkewlkid
Veteran

Post by lvkewlkid »

We have a bunch of KFC/LJS and AW/LJS here in Las Vegas, but we still have AFAIK 2 freestanding LJS, one on Maryland at Flamingo, and I think there is one on Boulder Hwy...
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

I know of two freestanding LJS out here, one in Woodland and one in south Sacramento near the Florin Town Centre (on Stockton Boulevard)...there's a former unit in Rancho Cordova on Folsom Boulevard that's now a loan advance place.
Chris Sampang
krogerclerk
Veteran

Post by krogerclerk »

I've not seen a new build LJS in years. The most recent example I have seen is Highway 58 in Chattanooga which opened in the early 90's. Most LJS locations here were built in the mid-70's and their age shows. Most have been converted to LJS/A&W combos, but only half-heartedly after the initial 2 or 3 conversions. The local Dalton LJS recently reverted back to being an LJS with the elimination of the A&W menu.

Here, Captain D's, though a little more bland than LJS, has been aggressive with remodels and new stores and relocations. Captian D's tends to be cleaner than LJS, as much a result of keeping the stores fresh as actual cleanliness. Many of the mid-70's LJS' have seen demographic and traffic flow changes in the years since they were first opened. The Fort Oglethorpe LJS is that last holdout of chain fast food along its strip, McDonald's and Taco Bell have long relocated to higher traffic areas of town, near where Captain D's has long been located.

I believe YUM! needs to revitalize the brand instead of co-bannering with A&W, KFC, and Taco Bell. The same with A&W, as their free-standing prototype is pretty good, and the food is better than Sonic.
But for A&W, fast food burgers are a crowded niche, but fast food fish is less competitive. I've yet to see an LJS combo with Pizza Hut, but I have seen KFC and Taco Bell combo'd with PH. Both KFC and A&W have strong legacy appeal as well, but YUM! has floundered a bit since being spun from Pepsi.
lvkewlkid
Veteran

Post by lvkewlkid »

i've only seen one free-standing A&W before, and that was in Boulder City and it reminds me of Sonic, is that what most freestanding A&W's are like?
storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

There were three in northern Nevada until somewhat recently. First, the Sparks one closed (lost lease). The one in Carson City closed suddenly early this year. The Reno one is still open. There are KFC/LJS combination units in Winnemucca and Fallon.

These places are few and far between. I know of another in Sacramento on Auburn Blvd. in the Foothill Farms neighborhood.

A&W went through a lot of hard times prior to Yorkshire and then YUM. The only growth seems to be through combo units. I get the impression a lot of the freestanding franchisees are being squeezed away due to the push on combos.

Many existing A&W locations that are freestanding have weekly "cruise nights" during summer months where people exhibit their old cars in the parking lots. I think this has really helped their business.
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

luckysaver wrote:I thought Puente Hills recently closed. This building has been there a long time and used the current logo at the time they closed. Only the frame and part of the exterior is left standing when I drove by a couple of weeks ago. Its probably being converted to some other restaurant or shop.

LJS is owned the restaurant group that owns A&W Restaurants.

luckysaver
PHills is becoming KFC I believe, as did the Burger King on Hacienda.
krogerclerk
Veteran

Post by krogerclerk »

The concrete pad from the old Dalton, GA A&W is still visible after being closed for more than 25 years. And old scholl A&W drive still operates a litttle northeast of here in Madison, TN across from a still operating drive-in theater. A new build A&W is in Sevierville, TN amid the outlet malls that have filled the strip between Pigeon Forge and Sevierville and is very Sonic-like in its design. This is the only area close to me that has new build Hardee's using the Carls Jr. prototype as well.
TenPoundHammer
Veteran

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I don't think any new LJS locations have opened since the early 1990s. I know the KFC in Tawas was recently remodeled to add LJS, which I find strange since a.) we now have LJS only 15 miles away, but have to drive 45 miles for Wendy's or Arby's, and b.) Tawas lost Taco Bell AND Pizza Hut not long beforethe KFC was remodeled. Even stranger is the fact that a local street was severed to account for KFCs new footprint; the former street is partially retained as KFC's new driveway. This KFC/LJS combo is still VERY small footprint for just one restaurant, much less two. There're maybe 10-12 seats inside at the most. The last time I was here, the food was so nasty and undercooked I had to ask for my money back.
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

Where is this?