Pensacola Albertsons: Going, Going...

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

Moderator: Groceteria

submariner
Veteran

Pensacola Albertsons: Going, Going...

Post by submariner »

I took a trip out today to get photos of the remaining two Albertsons in the Pensacola Area I hadn't visited yet. I also learned that all four stores (and likely all in Florida) are liquidating their stores. From a cashier, I learned that the stores will be closing on 31 August, remain closed for "about two months", and re-open as Publix stores. Since this means they'll likely remodel all the stores (they really need it) I put together a collection of the four stores. The four stores comprise 3 different generations of interiors (the 80's, the 90's, and what I think is the "pre-Jewel" interior.) One of the stores is a special note as it contains a very "Florida" modification to the 90's theme where instead of the browns and blues, it's pink and teal.

http://flickr.com/photos/ssbn737rm/sets ... 629312422/
==========
Aaron
"his foxtail-wielding skills are unparalleled, dust bunnies fear his name"
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Re: Pensacola Albertsons: Going, Going...

Post by Ephrata1966 »

There was an Albertsons in Tampa that had an extra wing of the store dedicated to liquor. When that store closed, it became a Publix and is currently one of their only stores with a liquor department at all.

Most Albertsons in Tennessee became Publix way back in early 2002, when they exited the Nashville and Memphis markets. At the same time they closed/sold all the ones in Houston and San Antonio in Texas.

Albertsons are disappearing all over the country. A great Albertsons resource: http://www.flickr.com/photos/16441604@N ... 169795599/
wnetmacman
Veteran

Post by wnetmacman »

Of the pictures you have, Albertsons has stores that match each of these interiors in Lafayette, LA. The main store has the newer interior. We have one store that has the pink/grey interior, and we have two new build stores with the lack of a ceiling. Albertsons, LLC is trying to unload these stores.

The Memphis Seesels by Albertsons stores did not go to Publix. They are now Schnucks.
Scott Greer
BK31
Contributor

Post by BK31 »

Any update on the reopening of these? I heard Publix was just going to do light 'paint and decor' changes to get the Albertsons stores open again faster than a full remodel. It'd be interesting to see what remains if they didn't do a full gut.
submariner
Veteran

Post by submariner »

BK31 wrote:Any update on the reopening of these? I heard Publix was just going to do light 'paint and decor' changes to get the Albertsons stores open again faster than a full remodel. It'd be interesting to see what remains if they didn't do a full gut.
Nothing that I can provide, since I left Pensacola in August. Rest assured if i make it back there (possibly later this year) I will re-visit these locations.
==========
Aaron
dooneyt63
Contributor

Post by dooneyt63 »

I know the status of two of the Pensacola stores as of this past Friday, April 10. The 9th Avenue and Bayou Boulevard store remains vacant with no signs of remodeling. The Nine Mile Road store has reopened as a Publix with fairly light remodeling. New paint, removal of obvious Albertson's decor themes and all signage. Many refrigerated cases, produce cases, etc. remain. Definitely not a full gutting. New asphalt tile flooring was installed, not typical of most Publix stores...but what was in the stores previously. This same scenario took place at the nearby Fort Walton Beach Albertson's. Thus far, the store seems kind of cavernous for a Publix...as if everything's too spread out. It will be interesting to see how this acquisition works out for Publix. There was virtually no alteration to the exterior.
BK31
Contributor

Post by BK31 »

From what little I've heard working with Publix here in the Atlanta metro is that they were going to mostly do paint and decor interior changes to the FLA Alberstons and slowly remodel exteriors on a case by case basis over time. If its not a stand alone store there can be all sorts of odd stipulations to leases for other tenants in the neighborhood centers that could prevent Publix from doing major alterations to their facades beyond a simple signage swap out. Some could be simple monetary compensation to other tenants to offset construction disruption, others could require a whole refresh to the entire center, which the developer or owner would probably have to carry the bulk of the cost of. Plus interestingly sometimes the developers that own these centers sometimes technically own the canopy/facades of the store while Publix (or whoever the tenant may be) actually only own or lease the structure from the outer face of the concrete block or other wall framing so they have little say in the exterior after its been built. Developers will do this many times to control the overall look of the center and so that they control all aspects of the exterior maintenance. Being on the design side of things for new grocery anchored centers we hear only bits and pieces of some of these stipulations when we have to work around them so I don't know everything, but what little I do know tells me things can get pretty complicated in these deals, pretty quickly. I do know that Albertsons did tend to own their own stores rather than lease their spaces, but again it could exclude the facades outside of the CMU shell.

I have a feeling the exteriors will stay the same for a good while since the financing for construction projects like this is extremely hard to find right now and Publix may sit and see a bit more on store traffic and the new economy before they sink money into facades of stores that can function as is for right now.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

If we could steer this back into a more history-related direction, that would be great.

Thanks,
David
BK31
Contributor

Post by BK31 »

Groceteria wrote:If we could steer this back into a more history-related direction, that would be great.

Thanks,
David

No problem, sorry about that.

/ new guy going off on a tangent.

I was just trying to explain why I think they'll stay looking relatively the same as the old albertsons on their exterior, probably for quite some time yet.
submariner
Veteran

Post by submariner »

The current status of these stores continues on RetailWatchers:

http://retailwatchers.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=73
==========
Aaron