Pensacola, FL: Former A&P and Winn-Dixie?

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

Moderator: Groceteria

submariner
Veteran

Pensacola, FL: Former A&P and Winn-Dixie?

Post by submariner »

On an outing here in P'cola, I always pass by a Former Centennial A&P (off New Warrington Road) (I's had the roof re-done, but along with the completely obvious offset-oval streetside sign frame, I'd classify it under the "Not Fooling Anyone" Category). When did A&P exit the Pensacola area?
http://flickr.com/photos/ssbn737rm/2639091769/
http://flickr.com/photos/ssbn737rm/2639919744/

Also, off of Mobile Highway, there's a building that looks suspiciously like a Winn-Dixie. This is further speculated since there's a newer store a mile or so down the road, across from the Albertsons store.
http://flickr.com/photos/ssbn737rm/2639927512/

Speaking of Albertsons (LLC branch) Is there a Florida law about having liquor in a grocery store? both of the nearest Albertsons have separate liquor stores, this one next door, the one near Cordova Mall is detached completely in the parking lot.
http://flickr.com/photos/ssbn737rm/2639939022/

Sidenote: Even though Albertsons LLC discontinued use of the Albertsons Preferred Savings Card, The systems still recognize the card and it displays on the receipt.
==========
Aaron
"his foxtail-wielding skills are unparalleled, dust bunnies fear his name"
krogerclerk
Veteran

Re: Pensacola, FL: Former A&P and Winn-Dixie?

Post by krogerclerk »

Pensacola was the last Florida market for A&P. The stores were operated out of the New Orleans division. I believe the last stores closed in the early 90's and there was even an 80's build A&P Futurestore. A&P long competed with Winn-Dixie, Delchamps, and Bruno's/Food World/FoodMax, and Albertson's. Pensacola is ironically the last major Florida city for Publix to enter, which won't officially happen until the Albertson's acquisition is complete, see the thread in current operations.

As for the former Winn-Dixie, that's the most likely ex-tenant. The store is very typical late 70's-mid-80's WD exterior. A little retail archeology is likely to turn up any number of Winn-Lovett/Kwik Chek/Winn-Dixie locations from the mid-50's onward.
wnetmacman
Veteran

Post by wnetmacman »

The store could have been a WD at one point in its life, but I don't believe it was built that way.

I believe this store was a Delchamps. WD almost never built stores that new without a centered entrance. Delchamps always situated the entrance to one side or the other. It is entirely possible that Delchamps/Jitney Jungle sold this store to WD when they liquidated. Normally Delchamps did a full, unified mansard, but there are many exceptions throughout the southeast. I believe a little directory research would prove this. Plus, look at the overhead maps. If a WD entrance was off center, it was a much larger Marketplace store, not a standard supermarket.
Scott Greer
dooneyt63
Contributor

Post by dooneyt63 »

A&P exited Pensacola by 1995. They had long since closed the Futurestore on Olive Road, maintaining the 2 Centennials 'til the end. In addition to the one off New Warrington Road, there was a free-standing Centennial on 12th Avenue. It is still there as an Early Childhood Center. A Save-A-Lot briefly occupied the New Warrington store. These were busy stores, especially the 12th Avenue location as it was the only supermarket in the historic East Hill neighborhood.

The store on Mobile Highway was a Delchamps originally.

Unless the law has changed, the liquor stores must be in separate spaces. The Walgreens, Publix, Wal-Mart, Albertson's, and Winn Dixie liquor stores all have the separate arrangement in Florida. Only wine, beer and wine cooler type beverages can be sold in the regular store.

Dooney Tickner
Destin, FL