Fred Meyer Stores After 1966

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.

Moderator: Groceteria

StoreLiker2006
Veteran

Fred Meyer Stores After 1966

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

Does anyone have any clues as to the original color schemes of most all pre-1987 Fred Meyer stores built since the Southeast (at 82nd & Foster) location had been reconstructed for the first time and re-opened on November 2, 1966?

I hint at gray with black accents (and red "Fred Meyer" letters), in regards to both the Southeast location already mentioned and the Fourth Plain store (@ 2201 Grand Blvd in Vancouver, WA) which opened in 1968-69. Below the panels on the exterior are sidebars with the names of the departments (such as "HOME IMPROVEMENT," "GARDEN CENTER" and "APPAREL"). These sidebars were a cream color with black text on the Southeast location, and at the Oak Grove location in the mid 1980s, the sidebars were in various colors with white text (black text if the sidebar color is light enough).
timbabcock
Contributor

Re: Fred Meyer Stores After 1966

Post by timbabcock »

In the late 70s, Fred Meyer was big about using white sheet metal sidings with a brownish (almost black) sheet metal siding on the outside of the buildings. In the interior they used a lot of colors that could get attention to departments such as blue and I think they were even using pink in some of the departments.

I don't see too much of it around though. The Kirkland Washington store is an example of the color scheme they were using.