2007 Conversion from Albertson's to Lucky-Northern Calif.

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

Jason B.
Veteran

2007 Conversion from Albertson's to Lucky-Northern Calif.

Post by Jason B. »

I visited the northern Livermore Lucky store on 11/25/07, my first visit since the conversion from Albertson's in recent weeks. This store, approximately 70,000 square feet, opened in February 2000. It replaced an approximately 30,000 square-foot store that operated in downtown Livermore from 1980 to 2000.

Decor throughout the store has been converted from Albertson's. The red "Lucky" logo, which just a few months ago was akin to a museum relic, is now ubiquitous.

What's most interesting to visitors to this website are vintage photos of "pylon" Lucky stores that hang prominently near the front of the store. One photo seems to depict a 1950s-era Lucky with a "porte cochere" (drive-through portico). These photos possibly depict the former "flagship" Lucky in downtown San Leandro and/or the Shattuck Avenue/Berkeley Lucky (now a Long's Drugs store) and/or the California Avenue/Walnut Creek Lucky (now divided into a Trader Joe's and Elephant Pharmacy).

To the best of my knowledge, no Lucky stores such as these ever existed in Livermore. Lucky was new to the Livermore market when the first Livermore Lucky opened on Pacific Avenue in 1959 (now vacant - it was the location of Nob Hill Foods from 1983 to 2002 after significant expansions). The second Livermore Lucky location, in the shopping center at Holmes Blvd. and Concannon Blvd., opened in 1964 and still operates in the same building 43 years later. No Livermore chain grocer has operated at a single site for a longer time period.

These photos very likely are a part of the new "Lucky" decor package. Look for them in an Albertson's-turned-Lucky near you!
submariner
Veteran

Post by submariner »

If I recall correctly, the photos you refer to are actually pulled from a postcard that this site's host provided to Save mart to be used in the decor
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

submariner wrote:If I recall correctly, the photos you refer to are actually pulled from a postcard that this site's host provided to Save mart to be used in the decor
That is correct. Most of the photos mentioned are of the 1947 store at 14th and Juana in San Leandro.
OldBlueValiant
Contributor

Post by OldBlueValiant »

Wow, it's great Lucky made a great come back in the Bay Area! Even including historical photos, that's way cool!