"Burlingame" Fred Meyer

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.

Moderator: Groceteria

storewanderer
Veteran

"Burlingame" Fred Meyer

Post by storewanderer »

When did this interior come to be?

Barber/I-5 Portland, OR
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/
tkaye
Veteran

Post by tkaye »

Judging by the lettering on the Fred Meyer logo on the second sign and the "Top Gun" design of the neon signs in the electronics department, I'd say it was mid- to late-'80s.

That splash of blue neon on Fred Meyer's head and the cut of beef is just damn weird, though!
StoreLiker2006
Veteran

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

tkaye wrote:Judging by the lettering on the Fred Meyer logo on the second sign and the "Top Gun" design of the neon signs in the electronics department, I'd say it was mid- to late-'80s.

That splash of blue neon on Fred Meyer's head and the cut of beef is just damn weird, though!
That appears to be from this location's 1979 updating.
Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

The aisle signs are recent, and are similar to those used in recent remodels.

As for the rest of the interior, Fred Meyer used neon quite often during the late 80s-early 90s. This interior isn't common, but several stores had all neon signage along the walls including the 1989? Longview remodel, and the Warrenton store which opened around the same time. Also, a lot of Fred Meyer stores installed the narrow recessed lights like the one directly above the "Home Electronics" sign during this period. The Longview store's 1989 remodel also installed these in many parts of the store.
tkaye
Veteran

Post by tkaye »

Super S wrote:Also, a lot of Fred Meyer stores installed the narrow recessed lights like the one directly above the "Home Electronics" sign during this period. The Longview store's 1989 remodel also installed these in many parts of the store.
Speaking of that recessed lighting, it seems as if Fred Meyer is in the process of most of the drop ceilings and recessed lighting in their current round of remodels. The Tacoma stores received that treatment and they look much more open and spacious with those ceilings gone. If my memory serves me right, all the exposed beams and ductwork got painted a beige color.

Back to the Burlingame store, I think the "Video Games" sign in the electronics department is a dead giveaway that this interior doesn't date back to 1979. And didn't they call these departments the Fred Meyer Music Market in the '70s?