Safeway Stores in Oregon

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.

Moderator: Groceteria

storewanderer
Veteran

Safeway Stores in Oregon

Post by storewanderer »

Interesting collection of interiors:

Large food photos on wall. Clatskanie, OR

Late 80s Beaverton, OR

Mid 80s Portland, OR

More in front section of http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/
tesg
Veteran

Post by tesg »

More?!? TONS more! That photobucket album of yours is a proverbial GOLD mine.

Great. Now I'm homesick.

Awesome pics.
StoreLiker2006
Veteran

Cheyenne area Safeway: 469 Cole Ctr.

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

The Safeway at 469 Cole Center in Cheyenne, WY appears to have been rebuilt sometime between the mid 1970s to 1981 - on the site of an older location - due to the Parking signpost being older than the store itself.

storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

I wondered about that when I visited this store too. But figuring this was a 70's looking store, it would have been very possible back then for some manager or someone who liked the old signs to get the old sign moved there from another locaton. The Cole Center seemed fairly large and I did wonder if some of the space directly across the parking lot from the current Safeway may have at one time housed an older gable, marina, or pylon structure.
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/
tesg
Veteran

Post by tesg »

Actually, the Cole store IS an old Marina. You just wouldn't know if from the current exterior.

Do an overhead satellite image at maps.google.com, and you'll see the original roofline. That store has been expanded over the years. The marina ceiling is still fully exposed inside.
StoreLiker2006
Veteran

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

tesg wrote:Actually, the Cole store IS an old Marina. You just wouldn't know if from the current exterior.

Do an overhead satellite image at maps.google.com, and you'll see the original roofline. That store has been expanded over the years. The marina ceiling is still fully exposed inside.
Thank you for the insight. When it did get expanded to its current size circa 1979-81, there is a rectangular left entrance marker which may mean the said expansion was large enough for it to be tagged as a "Super Store".
Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

Storewanderer,

Your first picture of the Clatskanie store is correct. As this store is about 20 miles from my home, I have visited it several times over the years, most recently two months ago. However, the second photo does not look like the interior of the Clatskanie store. Is this Beaverton also?
StoreLiker2006
Veteran

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

Super S wrote:Storewanderer,

Your first picture of the Clatskanie store is correct. As this store is about 20 miles from my home, I have visited it several times over the years, most recently two months ago. However, the second photo does not look like the interior of the Clatskanie store. Is this Beaverton also?
The 2nd (and 3rd) pictures appear to be of the location at 6194 SW Murray Blvd in Beaverton, OR, which replaced the vintage Marina (or pylon) era Safeway located at 12155 SW Broadway.

However, going onto his Photobucket page I also noticed he took interior shots of the Burlingame location (at 8145 SW Barbur Blvd; which is still in the cards to be on the chopping block), and the interior graphics still appear to be original to this location when it first opened in the summer of 1968.