Smiths "Founder's Day" AD

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas.

Moderator: Groceteria

storewanderer
Veteran

Smiths "Founder's Day" AD

Post by storewanderer »

Anyone see this? Pictures of old stores one very page:

http://smiths.inserts2online.com/storeL ... check=true

I don't recall seeing them ever do anything like this in the past nor do I know of any other old Smiths photos.
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/
tesg
Veteran

Post by tesg »

Fred Meyer did this same layout a year or two ago and I believe has always held a "Founder's Days" sale. I assume the Freddy's division is handling all of Smith's marketing and what not, since they were under the Fred Meyer umbrella before the Kroger acquisition, so it would be a natural adaptation.
Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

Fred Meyer indeed has a Founder's Days sale every year. Some years they do have a few historical photos in the ads, I don't remember what they had this year though.

In more recent years, Fred Meyer has also put up photos of old stores right inside the entrance. In newer stores I believe it is a picture of the first store, but there are several older stores in Portland where the photos are of that particular store. The Oak Grove store comes to mind, but I am not 100% sure here.
kr.abs.swy
Contributor

Post by kr.abs.swy »

The Smith's in Idaho Falls used to have a picture of Mr. Smith on the wall close to the entrance above the checkstands. It was kind of cool. That store was built somewhere in the 1989-1991 range, and I'm pretty sure the picture was there when it opened. The picture didn't survive the store's remodel, though.

And there's no picture of Mr. Smith in sight at the Jackson, Wyoming, Smith's, although we did get to celebrate Founder's Days with the rest of the company. :-)
kr.abs.swy
Contributor

Post by kr.abs.swy »

Does anyone know when Smith's stopped using the name "Smith's Food King?" I saw a picture in the Founder's Day ad with "Food King" on one of the stores, and I still every once in a while will hear someone refer to Smith's as "Smith's Food King." Just curious ...
Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

For what it's worth, in the mid-80s there were about four or five (I think) Smith's in Boise. Of these stores, I remember one at Broadway and Boise Ave. which did indeed say "Food King" on the building, and the Smith's logo had a crown as the dot on the I in Smith's. This location closed around 1986 and was converted into a car wash. I do not remember any of the other locations during 1984-1988 (when I lived there) having the "Food King" signage.
hypernick1980

Post by hypernick1980 »

I know that it still gets referred to as Smith's Food King by some locals in Utah. I remember that the Smith's in Ogden at 42nd and Harrison had the later Smith's Food King sign on the store until about 1989 or 1990. There also was a Smith's Food King at 30th and Harrison in Ogden that had a "Smith's Drug King" next door. Not sure if that was a separate store or just the non foods department though.
Roadsidepictures
Contributor

Post by Roadsidepictures »

I still call it Smith's Food King. The sign had Smith's with "Food King" under the logo. The entire logo was outlined with a simple looking crown. I think they changed the sign here around 1988.