Save Rite

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

Moderator: Groceteria

Mr. Kmart

Save Rite

Post by Mr. Kmart »

I know Winn-Dixie converted a lot of stores to the Save Rite format (most notably in Atlanta) as a last ditch effort to avoid bankruptcy. These stores soon closed. Are there any Save Rite stores left anywhere? I heard there were some in southern Mississippi.
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

they still have a few in Mississippi. One is in Hattiesburg. I wonder if they also kept the limited assortment stores they had in Florida. Those used a different name that escapes me. Those stores were designed to make use of outmoded locations to sell private label merchandise. Now that W-D has been trying to get out of the manufacturing business, there would be less reason for those stores.
jimbobga
Contributor

Save-Rite

Post by jimbobga »

While I know there are no more Save-Rite stores in Georgia, to the casual observer, there are. When the stores closed, it seems as if they simply turned off the lights and went home. Several of the stores still have their signage intact, both on the front of the store, and on pylon signs next to the highway. We need some pictures while they still exist...particularly of the Winn-Dixie / Save-Rite stores that had the parallelogram fronts. Locations with this design are at GA 34 at GA 154 in Newnan [Thomas Crossroads], and on US 19-41 South of Jonesboro.
paysh
Contributor

Save Rite, Kissimmee, Florida

Post by paysh »

There is a Save-Rite currently in operation on Vine St, route 192, in Kissimmee, Florida. It is an old Winn Dixie store that was converted some years back.
Edric Floyd
Veteran

Re: Save Rite, Kissimmee, Florida

Post by Edric Floyd »

paysh wrote:There is a Save-Rite currently in operation on Vine St, route 192, in Kissimmee, Florida. It is an old Winn Dixie store that was converted some years back.

I was just about to mention that very store as I have a friend who recently passed away who lived a couple blocks from that store. His wife was an employee there.
Edric Floyd
Veteran

Re: Save-Rite

Post by Edric Floyd »

jimbobga wrote:While I know there are no more Save-Rite stores in Georgia, to the casual observer, there are. When the stores closed, it seems as if they simply turned off the lights and went home. Several of the stores still have their signage intact, both on the front of the store, and on pylon signs next to the highway. We need some pictures while they still exist...particularly of the Winn-Dixie / Save-Rite stores that had the parallelogram fronts. Locations with this design are at GA 34 at GA 154 in Newnan [Thomas Crossroads], and on US 19-41 South of Jonesboro.

I have to look carefully. I had many photos of the one in Jonesboro and I didn't mark the discs that I may have them on. (lazy me)

Many Winn Dixie stores abandoned their properties with sinage intact. A&P did the same thing when they pulled out of Georgia in 1999. Usually property management firms had the signs removed in their own effort to clean up the property and put them up for lease or sale.

There is an empty WD in Milledgeville Georgia closed for 3 years with sinage still intact. And a former A&P-Family Mart near my home was never cleaned up and it has been closed going on 8 years now.
Edric Floyd
Veteran

Post by Edric Floyd »

rich wrote:I wonder if they also kept the limited assortment stores they had in Florida. Those used a different name that escapes me.
Winn-Dixie once had "Table Supply" stores in the latter half of 1980's. There were many in Florida and I discovered there was one here near Macon Georgia. I have no idea where else they used that format. It was a warehouse format selling standard WD fare and some no frills type products with a yellow label instead of the common "no frills" white labels.
Edric Floyd
Veteran

Re: Save-Rite

Post by Edric Floyd »

jimbobga wrote:While I know there are no more Save-Rite stores in Georgia, to the casual observer, there are. When the stores closed, it seems as if they simply turned off the lights and went home. Several of the stores still have their signage intact, both on the front of the store, and on pylon signs next to the highway. We need some pictures while they still exist...particularly of the Winn-Dixie / Save-Rite stores that had the parallelogram fronts. Locations with this design are at GA 34 at GA 154 in Newnan [Thomas Crossroads], and on US 19-41 South of Jonesboro.
Here are photos of the SaveRite store in the Jonesboro/Riverdale area South of Atlanta. Sorry for the dark quality, I passed the area just before 8pm.

http://www.edricfloyd.com/dscn4881.jpg

http://www.edricfloyd.com/dscn4882.jpg

http://www.edricfloyd.com/dscn4883.jpg
WD2Publix

Re: Save Rite

Post by WD2Publix »

The stores were called WD Super Saver in South Florida. I worked at Winn-Dixie #362 at 12150 Biscayne Blvd. in North Miami, which was to be one of the first stores. After the interior was repainted to Super Saver colors (but no signage because it was still open as a Winn-Dixie), the division manager came to the store, looked around for about ten minutes, and said, "Nope. Close the store." So it stayed open as a Winn-Dixie with Super Saver decor inside for several months, until the store was closed down for good. It later became an Office Depot. Of the twelve or so stores I worked at, that was my favorite...it still pops up in my dreams every few months, even though it's been more than twenty years since it was closed.
alphakilo470

Post by alphakilo470 »

On the corner of Old Canton and Roswell rd. in Marietta, GA, there is a former Winn Dixie marketplace that spent it's final years as a Save Rite. Half the space was gutted and made into a gym. Funny enough, the other half, as seen by looking through windows, still has original decor, floor, ceiling and lighting and even some fixtures and shelves.
jimbobga
Contributor

Post by jimbobga »

The SaveRite north of Newnan, or Thomas Crossroad, sat vacant with signage intact until a month ago. The building is now being repurposed as a Goodwill Center. There is a lot of scaffolding around the exterior, so perhaps any sign of it being a 1995 Marketplace build turned into a SaveRite will disappear.