Hannaford in Charlotte NC

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

Moderator: Groceteria

Aristan

Post by Aristan »

danielh_512 wrote: Hannaford's Charlotte locations went to Harris Teeter.
I worked for Hannaford at the time of the closing, and I'm not aware of any of their Charlotte Area properties going to Harris Teeter, mainly because Hannaford stores were often built for competition with HT.

Off the top of my head, Stores at Park Road & Woodlawn and at Eastland Mall were built within the same block as an existing HT.

The Park & Woodlawn store, the first built in Charlotte sat on top of a large hill that over looked Park Road Shopping Center. Though originally it was supposed to be the centerpiece of a complex, the fact that it didn't even face the road (The back of the store was pointed at the recognizable & desirable Park Road address, a side of brick & stucco was pointed toward Woodlawn) and getting there was more like a drive through the mountains than a visit to the Grocery store. It sat empty for ages after the closing, but was finally razed when they built the complex that's there now.

The Eastland Mall store is still there, empty but in it's original form. even the Hannaford sign is still up, though the letters have been painted beige.
verywell

Post by verywell »

Aristan wrote:
danielh_512 wrote: Hannaford's Charlotte locations went to Harris Teeter.
I worked for Hannaford at the time of the closing, and I'm not aware of any of their Charlotte Area properties going to Harris Teeter, mainly because Hannaford stores were often built for competition with HT.

Off the top of my head, Stores at Park Road & Woodlawn and at Eastland Mall were built within the same block as an existing HT.

The Park & Woodlawn store, the first built in Charlotte sat on top of a large hill that over looked Park Road Shopping Center. Though originally it was supposed to be the centerpiece of a complex, the fact that it didn't even face the road (The back of the store was pointed at the recognizable & desirable Park Road address, a side of brick & stucco was pointed toward Woodlawn) and getting there was more like a drive through the mountains than a visit to the Grocery store. It sat empty for ages after the closing, but was finally razed when they built the complex that's there now.

The Eastland Mall store is still there, empty but in it's original form. even the Hannaford sign is still up, though the letters have been painted beige.
The one by Eastland mall is sitting in a sad state of disarray. Hannaford stores were also in Ballantyne (which became a Harris Teeter); Johnston Road near Pineville (which became a rather nice Food Lion); Park Road as you've mentioned which has been demolished and turned into that new shopping complex there; Matthews Township Parkway which is now a Hobby Lobby store and University City which I believe is a Dick's Sporting Goods.

I think the Park Road store was the best though. So sad they had to vacate the market!
danielh_512
Veteran

Post by danielh_512 »

I believe someone told me their stores went to H-T. While I used to be quite familiar w/Charlotte in the late 80's, I hadn't been there since 1994. I remember when Bi-Lo, H-T, A&P, Winn-Dixie, Food Lion and Kroger were the supermarkets of Charlotte. Hannaford hadn't yet arrived, neither had Wal-Mart.
verywell

Post by verywell »

danielh_512 wrote:I believe someone told me their stores went to H-T. While I used to be quite familiar w/Charlotte in the late 80's, I hadn't been there since 1994. I remember when Bi-Lo, H-T, A&P, Winn-Dixie, Food Lion and Kroger were the supermarkets of Charlotte. Hannaford hadn't yet arrived, neither had Wal-Mart.
Wal-Mart's first discount store opened in Charlotte in 1989. The first Supercenter however opened 2001.
Aristan

Post by Aristan »

verywell wrote: The one by Eastland mall is sitting in a sad state of disarray. Hannaford stores were also in Ballantyne (which became a Harris Teeter); Johnston Road near Pineville (which became a rather nice Food Lion); Park Road as you've mentioned which has been demolished and turned into that new shopping complex there; Matthews Township Parkway which is now a Hobby Lobby store and University City which I believe is a Dick's Sporting Goods.

I think the Park Road store was the best though. So sad they had to vacate the market!
Drove by the Eastland mall store yesterday and noticed it's now an Indoor Flea Market. That was sudden. It also doesn't speak well for the mall or the area.

The Ballantyne store did become an HT. I helped open that store, and at the time we all commented how much it looked like the Taj MaTeeter. Fitting that it became an HT, though it didn't become so immediately afterwards.

I still remember that the produce sprinklers, they were the first in Charlotte to have the thunderstorm sound effects when they came on. They were just a little unexpected at first.

The Park Road store was great, and actually introduced a few things to the Hannafords (and then Food Lion) chains. The main idea added was 'Nature's Place,' a section of Organic foods. It wasn't added to leverage the market, which wasn't huge, but as a loss prevention method.

The store was originally designed so that when you entered the store through the 'correct' path, you didn't see the checkouts until you were actually leaving. You entered into produce, which went into wine and bakery, then cheese & deli.

Now, think about it. "Let's put the wine near the front door and then put a large wall between employees and the wine." About a year and a half after the store opened, the wine section was relocated to the center of the store, and Nature's Place was invented.

The organic sections at Hannaford, Food Lion, Kash N' Karry, etc can all trace their lineage back to shoplifting.